Juicy chestnut mushrooms cooked in a rich and glossy red wine gravy… this is a warm, comforting dinner which has the added bonus of leaving two thirds of a bottle of red wine going spare for a cosy night in.
This is the latest in my ‘20 Minute Meals‘ series, and is suitable (as always) for both vegetarians and vegans. Make sure you cook the bourguignon over a fairly high heat, it should be bubbling vigorously throughout to ensure it reduces to its thick, glossy sauce before your 20 minutes are up.
This is delicious served with mashed potato spiked with wholegrain mustard, or for a protein boost, make butterbean mash instead.
Or how about turning this into a showstopping Sunday lunch by covering it with homemade rough puff pastry to make a rich red wine pie? Yum!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 5 small shallots or baby onions
- 6 baby (chantenay) carrots
- 1 tsp ready-chopped garlic / garlic purée
- 250g chestnut mushrooms
- 100g button mushrooms
- 1½ tbsp plain flour
- 200ml red wine
- 150ml boiling water
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 1 tbsp tomato purée
- handful fresh parsley
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or casserole over a high heat. Peel and halve the shallots or baby onions, trim and quarter the baby carrots lengthways, and add to the pan with the garlic.
- Clean and cut the chestnut mushrooms into quarters, and clean the button mushrooms. Add to the pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Stir the flour through the mushrooms, then add the red wine. Bring to a vigorous boil for a minute, then add the water, stock powder and tomato purée. Cook over a medium to high heat until a thick, glossy sauce has formed and the mushrooms are just cooked through but not too soft. Taste and add salt and black pepper as necessary.
- Roughly chop the parsley and stir two thirds through the bourguignon, then plate up and sprinkle over the remaining parsley.
If you like the look of this (slightly boozy) recipe, you might like to take a look at:
- Mushroom & Merlot ‘Posh’ Pasties
- ‘Tipsy’ Linguine with Red Wine & Pinto Bean Bolognese
- Borlotti & Red Wine Pie topped with Kale Mash
And if you’re looking for quick vegan recipes, my book ‘Vegan in 15‘* might be just what you’re after!
- Meat Free Mondays over at the lovely Tinned Tomatoes
- CookBlogShare hosted this week by Everyday Healthy Recipes