People seem to think that all vegetarians love salad. Not me. The word “salad” conjures up images of a bowl of limp lettuce and dried out cucumber slices slathered in oily dressing, with not a chocolate teapot’s chance of staving off hunger until dinnertime.
So this isn’t a salad, but a “lunch bowl” – something filling and delicious to take to work in a tupperware, or ‘fork food’ for your patio or balcony on a sunny weekend. It is an easy and speedy assembly-job, as let’s face it, no one wants to be slaving away in the kitchen whilst the sun is shining.
Packed with protein from quinoa, peanuts and avocado, and full of vitamins from spinach, rocket and cucumber, even my husband declared that he felt like a ‘green goddess’ after lunch.
The base of the salad is a microwaveable cheat-pouch of brown basmati rice and quinoa. This isn’t a sponsored post, I just can’t get enough of these speedy pouches, particularly for throw-together lunches like this when putting the kettle on and boiling quinoa in a saucepan for 20 minutes just feels like too much of a faff. I also unashamedly use a supermarket ready-made french dressing just to save time, but of course it would be great to make your own with a few tablespoons of olive oil and juice of half a lemon.
- 250g microwaveable pouch Brown Basmati & Quinoa
- 2 spring onions
- handful fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp ready-made french dressing
- ⅓ of a cucumber
- handful baby spinach
- handful rocket
- 1 avocado
- handful dry roasted peanuts, crushed or roughly chopped
- Microwave the rice and quinoa pouch according to packet instructions, then tip into a large bowl and set aside to cool.
- Trim and finely chop the spring onions, and finely chop the parsley and add both to the rice. Use a potato peeler to 'shave' long strips of cucumber straight into the bowl, then add the spinach and rocket. Peel and remove the stone from the avocado, then chop it into large chunks and add to the bowl. Pour over the salad dressing, then try a forkful - you may want to add a little more to suit your taste.
- Divide between two bowls and top with the peanuts.
If you’re looking for lunch bowl recipes you might also like to take a look at these from blogging friends:
- Vegan Burrito Bowl from Hungry Healthy Happy
- Stuffed Zucchini With Turkish CousCous Salad from The Petite Cook
- Quinoa, Watercress, Walnut and Blue Cheese Salad with Roasted Asparagus from Tin & Thyme
If you like this recipe, why not take a look at my Pinterest Board Gorgeous Grains: Vegetarian & Vegan:
Follow Kate Ford | The Veg Space’s board Gorgeous Grains – Quinoa, Bulgur, Barley etc: Vegetarian and Vegan on Pinterest.