This really couldn’t be simpler – three ingredients, ten minutes, a waft of icing sugar, and a truly Christmassy sweet party nibble. So without further ado:
Quick Mincemeat Hearts
Author: Kate Ford | The Veg Space
Recipe type: Nibbles
Serves: 12 hearts
- Ready made all-butter puff pastry (1 roll, which makes about 12 hearts)
- 1 jar mincemeat (I add an extra slug of brandy!)
- 1 orange, peeled, sliced and each slice cut into segments
- Unroll the puff pastry, and using a large heart-shaped cutter, (or any other shape that takes your fancy!), cut as many pieces as you can fit from the sheet. Press a smaller cutter half way down into the pastry, (to leave a border of at least 1cm), being careful not to cut right through to the bottom. Prick the centre section with a fork, and brush the outer section with beaten egg.
- Bake the hearts in the oven at 180°C for 10 minutes until just turning golden and fully puffed up. Carefully remove the centre section to create a hole.
- Spoon mincemeat into the centre of each heart, and top with an orange segment. Return to the oven for 5-8 minutes until bubbling and cooked throughout.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and serve