I’m a big calzone fan, (and a fan of big calzones…) and made this the other night for friends coming to tea.
Its great as a last-minute storecupboard supper, as the only must-have ingredients are:
– Passata (or if you don’t have any to hand, a jar of pasta sauce would do the trick)
– Mozerella (though I’ve made this with cheddar and goats cheese in a fix, and it was still cheesily good!)
The fillings are then entirely up to you – a few suggestions below, but anything goes!
Here’s a few of my favourite calzone recipes from the web:
1. Tomato Calzone from delicious magazine
I would never have thought of using chutney and caramelised onions but this looks great, and very quick.
2. Mushroom & Goat’s Cheese Calzone from BBC Good Food
A similar idea with goat’s cheese instead of mozerella, but this time with a creamy mushroom filling. Great for a filling winter supper.
3. Calzone filled with Roasted Peppers from Waitrose Recipes
I’ve made something similar to these little calzones for picnics in the past and they go down a treat. Great cold, or if you bake them in the morning and wrap them in foil they keep their heat and can still be warm at lunchtime.