Imagine a spaghetti sauce so packed with flavour from chilli, capers, olives and garlic that you never want to open a jar of pasta sauce again. Now imagine a spaghetti sauce so quick to make that you can start it after putting your pasta on to boil, and it will be ready to eat at the same time as your spaghetti. Look no further – this Speedy & Spicy Spaghetti Sauce is just what you’re looking for.
This is my vegetarian version of the classic Spaghetti alla Puttanesca (quite literally ‘tart’s spaghetti’!) – the authentic Italian version contains anchovies which I’ve obviously left out here.
The speediness comes from using those handy little jars or tubes of ready-to-use chopped garlic and chilli which are such a godsend to keep in the door of the fridge. I must admit that for this sort of speedy weeknight supper it is now a very rare occurrence for me to actually crush a clove of garlic or chop a chilli.
- 100g spaghetti
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp ready-chopped garlic (or 1 garlic clove, crushed)
- 1 tsp ready-chopped chilli (or 1 small chilli, finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp capers in brine, rinsed
- 4 pitted black olives,
- 150g passata
- small handful fresh spinach, roughly chopped
- Put a large pan of salted water on to boil, and when it is bubbling add the spaghetti.
- In another small saucepan, heat the olive oil and add the garlic and chilli. Fry over a gentle heat for 1 minute then add the capers and olives, and finally the passata. Bring to the boil then turn down the heat to a gentle simmer and cook until your spaghetti is ready.
- Drain the spaghetti and return to its pan, then pour over the sauce and mix. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Stir through the spinach and serve immediately, served (if you wish) with some fresh basil and/or shavings of vegetarian parmesan.
I’m submitting this recipe to the #ExtraVeg challenge hosted by Helen from Fuss Free Flavours in conjunction with Michelle from Utterly Scrummy. A handful of fresh spinach stirred through the spaghetti just before serving gives this dish a lovely fresh, green finishing touch, and adds some vital vitamins and iron!