This should need no explanation… fresh tenderstem broccoli, creamy filling, Saint Agur cheese, with a crispy, lemony, pine nut and veggie-parmesan crust.
Tenderstem Broccoli and Blue Cheese Tart
Author: Kate Ford | The Veg Space
Recipe type: Main
Serves: Serves 4-6
- 240g Tenderstem Broccoli
- 1 packet ready-rolled all-butter shortcrust pastry
- 75g blue cheese (stilton or St Agur would work well), cut roughly into 1cm cubes
- 3 eggs
- 160ml double cream
- 50g pine nuts, roughly chopped
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 50g parmesan-style cheese, grated
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC. Line your tart tin with the shortcrust pastry (mine was 14″ x 4.5″, but a 20-24cm round tin would do fine). Prick the bottom with a fork, and bake blind for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven, brush the base all over with the white of one of your eggs (saving the yolk for later), and return to the oven for 5 more minutes.
- Meanwhile, boil the broccoli for 5 minutes until tender but not too soft. Drain well and leave aside to cool.
- In a jug, beat the 2 whole eggs plus one egg yolk together, then beat in the cream and half the parmesan-style cheese. Season generously with salt and pepper.
- When your pastry case is out of the oven, lay the broccoli in it, and sprinkle over the cubes of blue cheese. Carefully pour over the eggs and cream mixture, being careful not to let any leak over the sides of the pastry.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then scatter over the pine nuts, remaining parmesan-style cheese and lemon zest, and bake for a further 10 minutes until firm.