A seven-course all-vegetarian tasting menu at a luxury spa hotel in the beautiful surroundings of the New Forest. Doesn't that just sound like the perfect veggie weekend away?
On a rare, (in fact, previously unheard-of) toddler-free weekend, Mr F. and I headed down to the stunning Carey's Manor in Brockenhurst to check out their brand new restaurant Cambium, and specifically its seven-course vegetarian tasting menu, which is "inspired by the beauty and bounty of the forest". Ingredients are very local and so ultra-fresh, and we were wowed by the bright colours, inventive flavour combinations and attention to detail in each consecutive course. If you're really in the mood to celebrate, their excellent sommelier will recommend matching wines for each course - what a treat!
- Heritage Carrots Thyme, Honey, Black Garlic, Brown Butter
- Jerusalem Artichioke Risotto, Truffle, Chervil, Artichoke Crisp
- Slow Poached Egg White Bean, Whole Grain Mustard, Wild Mushroom, Kale, Brioche Crumb
- Tunworth Gnocchi Purple Broccoli, variety of Beetroot, Rosemary Dressing
- Pistachio Crème Brulée, Black Berries, Candied Pistachios, New Forest Yogurt
- Lemon Tart, Wild Strawberries, Meringue, Short Bread, Basil
- Cheese Selection of Cheese from our Board
In the interests of writing a review, we felt obliged to spend the afternoon checking out the spa facilities - pool, steam room, jacuzzi, sauna etc, and had we been staying an extra night would have loved to try the Zen Garden Thai restaurant which looked (and smelled!) incredible.
Inspired by my favourite course, (slow-poached egg, white bean, whole grain mustard, wild mushroom, kale, brioche crumb), on returning home I rustled up this 'posh' egg-on-toast brunch as a reminder of a great weekend away.
Disclosure: We were invited by Carey's Manor for an overnight stay and tasting menu dinner. There was no obligation to write a positive review, all opinions are my own.
Please note: this recipe is not vegan - The Veg Space has been a vegan blog since January 2016, but recipes from before that date may be vegetarian but not vegan.
Posh Brunch Egg on Toast
- 15 g butter
- 100 g wild mushrooms
- 200 g tinned white beans (I used haricot - drained and rinsed)
- 2 tbsp low fat créme fraiche
- 2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Handful baby spinach
- 2 slices brioche
- 2 eggs
- Heat the butter in a small frying pan, add the mushrooms and cook on a medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add the beans and cook for a further 3 minutes, then add the créme fraiche and mustard, remove from the heat, and stir through the spinach. Season well with salt and pepper and set aside.
- Bring a small saucepan of water to the boil, swirl around with a fork to create a whirlpool effect. Crack one of the eggs into a ramekin/small bowl, and tip into the centre of the whirlpool. Boil for 3 minutes then remove with a slotted spoon, place on kitchen paper to drain and repeat with the remaining egg.
- Whilst the eggs are poaching, toast the brioche slices in a toaster or under the grill.
- Plate up the toast, top with the mushrooms and beans, then finally the egg. Serve immediately whilst the egg yolk is still runny!