Jersey Royals really are potato royalty, and must be treated with the greatest of respect. They have a very distinctive flavour, unlike most other potato varieties, and should be boiled until just tender with their papery skins still intact.
Here they are paired with their springtime partners of asparagus, peas and spring onions, in a delicious and traditional Spanish tortilla.
Please note: this recipe is not vegan – The Veg Space has been vegan since January 2016 but recipes from before this date may be vegetarian but not vegan.
- 250 g Jersey Royal Potatoes
- 50 g Asparagus Tips
- 50 g Frozen Peas
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- 4 Spring onions
- 4 Eggs
- 2 Garlic cloves
- Bring a large saucepan of water to the boil, and add a generous pinch of salt. Slice the Jersey Royals into thick rounds, (about half a centimetre thick) and add to the pan. After 4 minutes, add the asparagus and peas, then boil for a further 4 minutes, drain and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a small frying pan, (or large frying pan for 4P), and add the spring onions and garlic. Fry gently for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften, then add the potatoes, asparagus and peas.
- In a jug or bowl, beat the eggs and season generously with salt and pepper. Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables and leave on a medium heat to cook for 2-3 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat your grill to a medium heat.
- When the tortilla has cooked about half way through, (the top will still be raw and runny), place under the grill until the top is golden brown.
Wondering what else to do with your Jersey Royals? Try my Rustic Pies with Jersey Royals and Tenderstem Broccoli which I created for Maille and were featured in the Observer Food Monthly!