Here’s a speedy weeknight supper making the most of some of the great supermarket indian takeaway dishes around at the moment – spicy dhal stuffed sweet potatoes.
Vegan (check ingredients of shop-bought dhal)
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 packet ready-made lentil dhal I used Waitrose's Tarka Dal, and also love M&S Black Dhal
- Handful fresh spinach finely chopped
- 1 red chilli seeds removed and finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C / 390°F / gas mark 6. Rub or spray the sweet potatoes with a small amount of oil and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 45 minutes or until soft throughout, then leave aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, heat the dhal according to packet instructions. Empty into a large bowl. Slit the tops of the sweet potatoes and scoop out the flesh into the bowl with the dhal, being careful not to split the skins any further.
- Add the chopped spinach and chilli to the dhal and potato mixture, and mash everything together well with a fork. Taste and season if required.
- Return the potato & dhal mixture into the empty potato skins, and then return them to the oven for 10 minutes until piping hot throughout and slightly crisp on top.
- A sprinkle of chopped coriander and squeeze of lime juice add an extra zing, if you have them to hand!