Its party season, so in the countdown to Christmas I'll be posting some ideas for quick and easy party bites which you can rustle up in a few minutes to soak up the champagne and wow your guests.
Here's the first of the advent canapé calendar.... roasted sweet potato rounds topped with melting goat's cheese and tangy cranberry sauce.
Sweet Potato Rounds with Goat's Cheese and Cranberry
- 3 sweet potatoes 1 potato should provide about 6 rounds
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 120 g goat's cheese 1 small round rinded goat's cheese provides 16 quarter-slices
- 3 tbsp cranberry sauce
- flat leaf parsley
- Scrub the sweet potatoes, leaving skins on. Slice thickly into 1cm rounds. Toss in olive oil and season well with salt and pepper. Lay these out on a baking tray and roast in the oven at 180°C for 20 minutes, turning over halfway, or until golden brown and cooked throughout.
- When cooked, pat with kitchen paper to remove any excess oil. Slice the goat's cheese into four thick slices, then quarter each slice.
- Back on the baking tray, top each sweet potato round with a dollop of cranberry sauce, then place a wedge of goat's cheese next to it. Place under a hot grill until melting. Garnish with a leaf of parsley and serve immediately.
Make it vegan: Replace the goat's cheese with a dairy-free alternative - how about whipping soya cream with nut butter and lemon juice?