The most memorable hot chocolate I’ve ever had was in Zürich a few years ago. Part of the reason it was so memorable was its price tag, at 14,50 CHF (that’s over £11!!) for a fairly small cup. But in fact it was worth every penny (or swiss franc). Incredibly rich, creamy, intensely chocolatey, with a pinch of salt and sprinkle of cinnamon – it could have poured straight out of the page of Joanne Harris’ Chocolat.
It doesn’t sound very vegan does it. But here’s my dairy-free version which is every bit as decadent, using hazelnut milk and dark chocolate.
This very decadent hot chocolate would be really good with a tipple of something slightly boozy stirred through – brandy or amaretto would be really good, or rumour has it that Bailey’s are bringing out a dairy-free version made with almond milk just in time for Christmas…. wouldn’t that be lovely!
Ultimate Vegan Hazelnut Hot Chocolate
- 500 ml hazelnut milk
- 100 g dark chocolate, chopped into small-ish chunks (check it is vegan)
- 1 tsp sugar
- pinch cinnamon
- pinch salt
- mini-marshmallows (optional - check they are vegan)
- Heat half the hazelnut in a small saucepan over a medium heat. Add the chocolate and whisk with a fork until melted and smooth.
- Add the remaining milk, sugar, cinnamon and salt, and continue to heat and whisk until piping hot, (but not bubbling).
- Pour into mugs and top with marshmallows.
You might also enjoy… this Bonfire Night Blackberry Mulled Wine, perfect for warming your hands with whilst watching fireworks.
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later, or to share with friends → → → → →
There are plenty of similarly quick and easy recipes in my new book, ‘Vegan in 15‘*. Hop over to Amazon for a look. Thanks for your support!
And if you haven’t yet signed up, you can get a monthly roundup of all my recipes and giveaways delivered to your inbox absolutely free – just click here to subscribe to The Veg Space monthly newsletter.