This is a VERY easy recipe. So easy I’m not really sure it should be called a recipe at all, perhaps a ‘how-to tutorial’ would be a better word. Sausage rolls are important in life, (vegan sausage rolls in particular) – 1 year olds and 91 year olds will tuck in to them with equal pleasure, they are welcomed at parties, buffets, picnics, packed lunches and even, occasionally(!) as an easy weekend dinner option with oven chips and baked beans. (You know all my secrets now).
There have been lots of fantastic things happening as a result of the total explosion of veganism over the last few years, and the massive improvement in the quality and range of vegan products available in supermarkets is one of the most exciting. I hear about new vegan products available on the high street every week and my shopping basket is groaning as I feel obliged to give them all a try, and want to support new vegan businesses and major retailers dipping their toe into the vegan market.
Vegan sausages are a great example – there are some fabulous new sausages out there, and the ones I’ve used in this little tutorial (Sainsbury’s ‘Shroomdogs’ – the cumberland variety rather than the sweet onion ones) are my hands-down favourite. (I had to pick the label out of the bin after taking a bite to double check I hadn’t bought meaty sausages by mistake!). NB This post isn’t sponsored or endorsed by Sainsbury’s in any way, I’m just a big Shroomdog fan! But any vegan sausage will work well here so use whichever are your own favourites.
To show you just how easy these are to make, here’s a quick how-to video:
Remember that you can make your vegan sausage rolls whatever size you like – these little bite-sized ones were for a buffet, but for a picnic or packed lunch you can make them bigger, or for toddler-size snacks even smaller.
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later, or to share with friends → → → → →
You might like to take a look at my post 63 Recipes for Vegan Party Food & Nibbles for lots more delicious and speedy vegan party food!
Do send me pictures of your very own vegan sausage rolls on:
tagging me @thevegspace or using the hashtag #thevegspace to show me how you got on!
Vegan Sausage Rolls: Equipment and Shopping List
You will need:
- Large baking tray
- Baking parchment or greaseproof paper
- Pastry brush
- 6 vegan sausages
- 1 pack ready-rolled puff pastry (check it is vegan – most are)
- dairy-free milk
- sesame seeds
Easy Vegan Sausage Rolls
- 6 vegan sausages (Sainsbury's Cumberland 'Shroomdogs' work really well here but any other brand will be lovely too!)
- 320 g ready-rolled puff pastry (check it is vegan - many supermarket brands are)
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (white, black or a mixture of both)
- 2 tbsp dairy-free milk (for brushing - I used soya but any other milk will work well too)
- plain flour (for dusting)
- Unroll the puff pastry, remove it from the backing paper/plastic and dust with a little flour. Place on a chopping board or clean work surface. If your vegan sausages have skins, snip off the ends and remove the skins.
- Lay the sausages out on the pastry in three rows of two sausages each.
- Slice the pastry between the sausages (as pictured), then brush with a little dairy-free milk.
- Roll the pastry over the sausages (as tightly as you can), and press down to seal the long edge.
- Slash the top of each long 'roll' diagonally with a knife every 2cm or so.
- Brush the rolls with dairy-free milk....
- .... then sprinkle with sesame seeds.
- Chill the rolls for about 30 minutes in the fridge. Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 180ºC (fan) / 350ºF / Gas Mark 4.
- Cut the long rolls into individual sausage rolls, as big or small as you wish, then place on a baking tray (oiled or lined with baking parchment/greaseproof paper). Make sure they are well spaced out as the pastry will puff up in the oven.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are just turning golden and crispy. Enjoy!
There are plenty of quick and easy vegan recipes in my new book, ‘Vegan in 15‘*. Hop over to Amazon for a look. Thanks for your support!
And if you haven’t yet signed up, you can get a monthly roundup of all my recipes and giveaways delivered to your inbox absolutely free – just click here to subscribe to The Veg Space monthly newsletter.
I’m linking this vegan sausage rolls recipe with some blogging challenges: