These easy peasy vegan sliders are perfect party food - mini black bean burgers with spring onion and lime. Simple to make, and impressive canapés!
🍴Why you will love this recipe
Sliders, (an American term for mini bite-sized burgers) are such great party food - fun, deliciously more-ish, and really easy to make too!
These mini vegan cheeseburgers are packed with flavour - black beans, spring onions, lime and coriander in the patties, topped with melting vegan cheese, red onion and cocktail gherkins. What's not to love?!
You can make them any size you like, so match them to your buns, or make your own (from my Vegan Dough Ball recipe, topped with sesame seeds instead of the garlic and herb butter).
📝 What you need
Black Beans are packed with protein and fibre, and give a lovely dark colour to these vegan sliders. They are also cheap and easy to find in supermarkets, but if you don't have any handy any other tinned bean would work well - kidney beans, black-eye beans or butterbeans.
Breadcrumbs give texture and hold the burgers together, and also soak up all the delicious flavours. I keep a tub in the freezer and add breadcrumbs whenever I have any odd crusts leftover, but otherwise you can just toast 2 slices of bread and blitz to crumbs, (or use fairly stale bread if you have it to hand).
Tahini is great for flavour and also as a binding agent. If you don't have any, peanut butter would be a great alternative.
Mini burger buns can be found in supermarkets, (Waitrose sell a lovely mini roll selection which is perfect), but if you want to make you own I recommend using my Vegan Dough Balls recipe, but top them with sesame seeds instead of the garlic and herb 'butter'.
👩🏽🍳 How to make your Vegan Sliders
For a full, printable recipe with ingredients and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this page.
Drain and rinse the beans and pulse them in a food processor or mini-chopper so they are crushed (but not puréed). Finely chop the spring onions and coriander, and add to a bowl with all the beans remaining ingredients.
Mix the burger ingredients together and take a tablespoon at a time, shape into small, round patties. Chill until required. Fry them gently for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
🔪 Top Tips & FAQs
If your mixture is a little dry and crumbly, add 1 tablespoon water to bring it together, making it easier to shape. If it is a little too sticky, add a few more breadcrumbs.
Make these mini burgers whatever size you need to fit the buns you will be using. Mine were 1 heaped tablespoon of burger mix each to make burgers 3-4cm across.
Chill for as long as you can before cooking to make sure they keep their shape.
Yes, these freeze really well before cooking. Make and shape the sliders, then lay them on a baking tray and freeze. As soon as they are frozen you can tip them into an airtight container or bag. To cook, defrost then cook as per the recipe.
Yes, the great thing about these vegan sliders is you can make them a day ahead, then chill in the fridge and just cook when you need them - they take just minutes to cook through.
🍽 If you liked that...
.... you might also enjoy these vegan recipes from The Veg Space:
Vegan Sliders - mini bean burgers
For the mini bean burgers:
- 400 g tin black beans
- 2 spring onions
- handful fresh coriander
- 90 g breadcrumbs
- ½ lime
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon tahini
- 2 tablespoon rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 8 mini burger buns shop-bought or make your own
- vegan cheese
- red onion
- mini gherkins
- tomato ketchup
To make the burgers:
- Drain and rinse the black beans. In a food processor or mini-chopper (or using a potato masher), pulse them until they are crushed (but not completely puréed). Tip into a large bowl.
- Finely chop the spring onions and coriander and add to the beans.
- Add the breadcrumbs, lime zest and juice, soy sauce and tahini and mix well until it comes together into a soft burger mix.
- Take a heaped tablespoon of mixture, roll it into a ball and flatten into a burger-shaped patty. Continue with the remaining mixture, and chill your mii burgers until required - ideally at least half an hour.
- To cook, heat the oil in a large frying pan. Cook the mini burgers over a medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown and crispy.
- Top the burgers with vegan cheese whilst still in the pan, until it melts.
- Split open the buns, spread them with ketchup on both sides, then add the burgers, thin slices of red onion and a cocktail gherkin or two. Serve immediately.
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
"Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice" Hello! Magazine
Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected. If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding