The selection of 10 vegetarian pie, tart and pasty recipes below are a selection of my very favourite savoury pastry dishes. Most are very versatile, and could be served cold with a picnic or buffet lunch, or hot with roasted veg and gravy for a hearty Sunday dinner.
1. Cheddar Ploughman Tartlets from Higgidy Pies How beautiful do these little tartlets look? A ploughmans lunch in a crumbly pastry case, with cheddar, chutney, tomatoes and onions in a quiche-style filling. The crispy breadcrumb topping is the icing on the cake, as it were.
2. Mushroom & Merlot Posh Pasties by The Veg Space These fabulous pasties would be just as good for a Sunday Lunch with roast potatoes and all the trimmings as they would to take on a ‘posh’ picnic!
Homemade rough-puff pastry (or shop bought puff if you’re short on time), with mushrooms and puy lentils in a rich red wine gravy. What’s not to like?!
3. Creamy potato, leek and Gruyère tart from delicious Magazine These baby leeks look stunning, and paired with new potatoes, créme fraiche and gruyére this would surely be an unbeatable vegetarian Sunday Lunch centrepiece. (Check that your Gruyére is vegetarian).
4. Wholemeal Stilton & Broccoli Pasties from Jen’s Food blog I can’t think of anything more perfect for a sunny picnic than these tasty pasties filled with broccoli, leek and stilton. Since experimenting with my Homity Pie re-make I’ve completely fallen for wholemeal pastry, and these little beauties look so good.
5. Kale Pesto & Cauliflower Picnic Pies by The Veg Space These little beauties are surprisingly simple to make with ready-rolled pastry and frozen cauliflower florets, but such a delicious picnic treat for all the family.
Better than a pork pie any day!!
6. Three Allium Smoked Chilli Tart from Tin and Thyme blog Onions, Leeks and Wet Garlic all feature in this deeply savoury courgette-topped tart. A real celebration of the British allotment / veg-patch.
7. Spicy Tomato and Lentil Pie from The Higgidy Cookbook I was given a copy of The Higgidy Cookbook* for Christmas, and though it isn’t a vegetarian book, its my go-to book http://www.higgidy.co.uk/recipe/Spicy-Tomato-and-Lentil-Piewhen I’m in need of a tasty pie or tart recipe, and many of the meaty or fishy pies can be vegetarian-ised. The photography and styling is so quirky and lovely – this ‘I Love Pie’ crust gives you the idea!
8. Feta, Pepper and Courgette Filo Pie from BakingQueen74 blog I’m sometimes in two minds about filo pastry…. the sort of pie that is topped with multiple crunched up sheets of filo as a decoration really doesn’t do it for me, (too papery and dry), but using it like this as a really crisp base for a creamy filling is just perfect.
9. Quick Beetroot and Goat’s Cheese Tart with Balsamic Red Onions by me! I’m not always an advocate of vacuum-packed beetroots, (fresh roasted beets are far superior when you have time). But as with all convenience ingredients, there’s a time and a place, and when constrained by the need for speed they are a great way to include one of my favourite root veg in this speedy but delicious tart.
10. Mini Cheese and Onion Pasties by me! One of my most popular blog posts, mostly from people searching for cheese and onion pasty recipes online, apparently! Crispy puff pastry, oozing cheddar, potato and onion – the ultimate vegetarian party nibble or picnic fayre.
On the basis that you can never have enough pie or pasty recipes, do please leave links to your favourites below – I would love to hear your recommendations!
You might also be interested in these posts:
There are plenty of similarly quick and easy recipes in my new book, ‘Vegan in 15‘*. Hop over to Amazon for a look. Thanks for your support!