These vegan burritos are lip-smackingly good, with a filling that is somehow creamy, fresh and spicy, all at the same time. A perfect weeknight supper for those signed up for ‘Veganuary‘ this year, (or anyone else for that matter!).
If you’re one of those people who can’t eat a fajita without most of it ending up in your lap, the burrito is your friend. ‘Toasting’ the outer wrap until crisp in a dry frying pan acts like a glue to stick it all together and keeps the fillings neatly tucked inside.
Don’t be scared of the filling and folding process, it really isn’t difficult – I’ve made a little how-to video below to prove how easy it can be! Then just place in a dry frying pan with the ‘seam’ down (touching the pan) and your fillings will be sealed inside whilst you turn it, so no collapsing wraps!
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later, or to share with friends → → → → →
You might like to take a look at my 20 Minute Meals Recipe Index for lots more quick vegan weeknight suppers!
Do send me pictures of your very own vegan burritos on:
to show me how you got on!
Vegan Burritos: Shopping List
You will need:
- Baby spinach
- Cherry tomatoes
- Vegan guacamole OR mashed avocado
- Tortilla wraps
- Spicy refried beans
- Mexican flavour pre-cooked rice pouch
- Sliced jalapeños in brine
Speedy & Spicy Chilli Bean Burritos
- 215 g tin spicy refried beans
- 250 g pouch Mexican spiced pre-cooked rice
- 4 tortilla wraps (wheat or corn)
- 4 tbsp mashed avocado
- sliced jalapeños in brine (optional)
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- handful baby spinach
- Empty the tin of refried beans into a small bowl, cover and microwave for 1½ minutes.
- Cook the rice according to packet instructions.
- Whilst it is cooking, cut the cherry tomatoes into quarters and lay the tortilla wraps out ready for assembly.
- Spread each wrap with a quarter of the refried beans, then spoon a quarter of the rice into a line across the centre of each wrap. Top the rice with 1 tbsp guacamole for each wrap, a few jalapeños (if you dare), four cherry tomato quarters and a few spinach leaves. Fold in each end of the wrap, then roll in the sides so the fillings are fully enclosed.
- Heat a dry frying pan on a gentle to medium heat, then cook the burritos one by one, placing them in the pan seam side down, then turning to ‘toast’ the whole of the outside of the burrito, and finally turn up to toast each end for a few seconds. If your burritos start to stick, the pan has got too hot so just turn down the heat a little.
- Repeat with the remaining burritos, and serve whilst still warm.
For more Mexican-inspired vegan recipe ideas, take a look at:
There are plenty of quick and easy vegan recipes in my new book, ‘Vegan in 15‘*. Hop over to Amazon for a look. Thanks for your support!
And if you haven’t yet signed up, you can get a monthly roundup of all my recipes and giveaways delivered to your inbox absolutely free – just click here to subscribe to The Veg Space monthly newsletter.
I’m linking this vegan burritos recipe with a few blogging challenges: