Celebrating vegetables loud and proud is a big part of what The Veg Space is all about, so I’m properly excited to be sharing news with you of a new cookbook which is out today. A blogging friend Kate (great name) writes the fabulous blog Veggie Desserts which is all about putting vegetables into cakes, muffins, biscuits, tarts, brownies, pastries and even ice cream, and also features healthy vegetarian and vegan meals, all full of vegetables, of course.
Veggie Desserts + Cakes by Kate Hackworthy is published by Pavilion Books, RRP £14.99. The idea behind the book is that veggies bring moisture, natural sweetness and extra nutrients to baking. Avocados make a great substitute for butter, root vegetables bring sweetness and, in some desserts, vegetable purée can replace eggs. Just because we’re used to having veggies as savoury foods doesn’t mean we can’t serve them in sweet dishes too. This isn’t about sneaking vegetables in, but celebrating them as hero ingredients.
Kate’s book is worth buying for the stunning photography (the cover here will give you an idea) let alone the recipes, with vibrantly coloured cakes and bakes jumping out from every page. Not all the recipes are vegan, (though there are quite a few), but they can all be very easily vegan-ised using the standard baking replacements.
I’ve tested quite a few recipes from the book already, and my current favourites are these little Avocado Lime Tarts. Huge thanks to Kate and Pavilion Books for allowing me share the recipe with you below – these are creamy and more-ish with a generous zing of lime, a perfect dinner party dessert or sweet vegan treat for afternoon tea.
I’ve also made Kate’s Pea & Vanilla Cake with Lemon Icing recently which was really good – bright green with a zingy lemon icing, topped with fresh pea shoots as a hint to what’s inside. Yum.
- For the bases:
- 100g / 3½ oz / ¾ cup pitted dates
- 100g / 3½ oz / 1 cup walnuts
- 55g / 2oz / ¾ cup unsweetened dessicated (dried flaked) coconut
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp salt
- For the avocado filling:
- 2 ripe avocados pitted and peeled
- 100g / 3½ oz / 1 cup raw unsalted cashews, soaked in water for at least 4 hours or overnight
- 50g / 1¾ oz ¼ cup coconut oil, melted
- 3 tbsp lime juice
- 100g / 3½ oz / ¼ cup maple syrup
- 2 tsp lime zest
- To decorate:
- 1 tbsp unsweetened dessicated (dried flaked) coconut
- 2 tsp lime zest
- To make the bases: Line a 12-cup muffin pan with paper cases.
- Combine all the base ingredients in a food processor and whizz until the mixture comes together into a sticky meal. If necessary, add a teaspoon of water and process again.
- Press a heaped tablespoon of the mixture into the base of each muffin cup and press down firmly, then place in the freezer whilst making the filling.
- To make the avocado filling: Whizz all the ingredients in a blender or food processor until smooth. Pour onto the bases, smooth the tops and sprinkle with coconut and lime zest. Transfer to the freezer for 1 hour, or until firm.
- Place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes to soften before serving. If not eating right away, store in the freezer then thaw slightly in the fridge before serving.
Why not pin this recipe to save for later or share with friends? →→→
Look out for my latest monthly E-Newsletter which will be going out later today, packed full of all the latest recipes and giveaways on The Veg Space and straight to your inbox so you don’t miss a thing! If you’re not yet on the mailing list, sign up here.
If you’re a fan of beautiful cookbooks you need this one on your shelf, so I’m so pleased to be able to run a giveaway for one lucky reader to win their own copy of Veggie Desserts + Cakes below. Good luck!
Terms & Conditions
There is 1 prize of a copy of Veggie Desserts + Cakes cookbook.
The winner will be announced on the Rafflecopter widget after the prize has been claimed.
The prize will be delivered to the winner as soon as possible.
There is no cash alternative and the prize is not transferable.
This giveaway is open to UK entrants over the age of 18 only, and runs until midnight on Sunday 20th August 2017.
The Veg Space, as the promoter, reserves the right to cancel or amend the giveaway and these terms and conditions without notice.
If the winner doesn’t respond to the email within 5 days, another winner will be picked.
For more reviews of Veggie Desserts + Cakes hop over to these lovely blogs for a look at their recipes and reviews.
- Chocolate & Cauliflower Ice Lollies (Vegan & Vegetarian) over at Recipes from a Pantry
- Beetroot & Vanilla Sorbet (Vegan & Vegetarian) over at Natural Kitchen Adventures
- Cavolo Nero & Orange Cupcakes (Vegetarian) over at The Hedge Combers
- Carrot Gingerbread (Vegetarian) over at Farmersgirl Kitchen
Disclosure: I was sent a copy of Veggie Desserts + Cakes to review plus another to give away – there was no expectation of a positive review, all opinions are my own. This post contains affiliate links.