When will I ever learn not to go shopping on an empty stomach. If you have tried Waitrose’s Seriously Chocolaty Triple Chocolate Crisp breakfast cereal you will know what I mean. I would never buy it for myself, you understand, but if we have guests staying overnight it is
a perfect excuse to buy some indulgent cereal the hospitable thing to do to get something naughty but nice in for breakfast.
Recently I decided to have a go at making my own version of this deliciously chocolately granola, and the ideal place to start was the Guardian’s ‘How to make the perfect granola’. Using this outline method, I made a few tweaks: quinoa flakes, (as I had some in the cupboard and they cancel out the naughtiness of having chocolate for breakfast), and puffed rice (aka. rice krispies) which are included in Waitrose’s version, and lighten up what might otherwise be a bit of a heavy granola.
The resultin ‘Nutty Chocolate Granola’ is superb, (even if I do say so myself). Not an everyday breakfast, you understand, but as a once-a-week treat its just lovely. Give it a go!
Nutty Chocolate Granola
- 40ml olive oil
- 120ml honey
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp salt
- 200g rolled oats
- 75g quinoa flakes
- 200g mixed nuts (I used peanuts and whole skin-on almonds, as they are relatively cheap!)
- 30g pumpkin seeds
- 30g sunflower seeds
- 50g rice krispies (puffed rice)
- 1 egg white
- 75g dark chocolate, grated or shaved into flakes
- Preheat the oven to 150ºC / 300ºF / Gas Mark 2.
- In a small saucepan, gently heat the olive oil, honey, vanilla extract and salt for 2-3 minutes until fully dissolved and combined. Leave aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl combine the oats, quinoa flakes, nuts, seeds and rice krispies. Pour over the honey and oil and mix thoroughly to combine.
- In a small bowl, whisk the egg white until frothy and pour over the granola mixture, and once again mix thoroughly until fully coated and combined.
- Cover a large baking tray with greaseproof paper, and spread out the granola mix. Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes, stirring occasionally and making sure it is golden rather than burnt!
- Leave the granola to cool, then grate or shave the chocolate over the top. Store in an airtight container.