This deliciously creamy broccoli and cauliflower soup is so easy to make. A filling and flavour-packed soup that's both nutritious and delicious!
🍴Why you will love this recipe
This delicious soup is so rich, creamy and filling that you won't believe it is low in carbohydrates, nutritious and dairy-free.
So easy to make and with optional crunchy broccoli and cauliflower croutons, this is just as good for speedy working lunch as it is for an elegant dinner party starter.
This soup freezes brilliantly, so is ideal to batch-cook and stock up the freezer with individual portions. You can then microwave from frozen or pop straight into a saucepan to defrost.
📝 What you need
Cauliflower gives the soup its velvety, creamy texture. Go for a large-ish cauliflower to make up a big batch of soup whilst you're at it.
Broccoli is packed with nutrients. You only need to trim the very end of the stalk, then can chop up the whole of the stalk to add to the soup, not just the florets.
Vegan cream is an optional extra, and adds a luxurious creaminess to the soup. Make sure your cream is unsweetened - soya or oat work best.
A stick blender is the easiest way to blitz your broccoli and cauliflower soup to a smooth and silky purée. No pouring into a blender, just stick it in the pan and blitz. Mine is by Dualit and has served me well for many years, but any good quality stick blender will do the job well.
👩🏽🍳 How to make your broccoli and cauliflower soup
For a full, printable recipe with ingredients and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this page. 👇🏼
Cut a small amount of very small florets of both broccoli and cauliflower which you will cook separately to make crispy garnish for your soup. Set them aside. Slice the onion and crush the garlic, then fry them gently until soft.
Cut the remaining broccoli and cauliflower into florets and add to the pan, followed by the vegetable stock. Cover with a lid and simmer for 10-12 minutes until soft.
Use a hand blender to blitz the soup to a smooth purée, then add the cream and parsley, season well with salt and black pepper and blitz again. Fry the small florets in a little oil for 4-5 minutes until just tender. Serve the soup topped with the crispy florets.
🔪 Top Tips & FAQs
You may need to adjust the amount of vegetable stock. As cauliflowers and broccoli come in such varying sizes, your soup may need more or less stock to create a thick and creamy consistency. The quantities below are based on a fairly large cauliflower and broccoli.
Blitz your soup for longer than you think to get a really silky smooth consistency. It is tempting to stop blending as soon as all the lumps have disappeared, but if you keep going for another minute or two it makes such a difference to the finished soup.
Yes, this soup freezes really well. I use old margarine tubs to freeze individual portions, label and date them, and stock up the freezer with speedy lunches.
You can use any size of broccoli and cauliflower, but you will need to adjust the amount of vegetable stock accordingly.
🍽 If you liked that...
.... you might also enjoy these vegan recipes from The Veg Space:
Broccoli and Cauliflower Soup
- 1 cauliflower large
- 1 head broccoli large
- 1 onion
- 2 garlic cloves or 1 teaspoon ready-chopped garlic
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 litre vegetable stock
- 100 ml dairy-free cream unsweetened
- fresh parsley
- Cut some very small florets of cauliflower and broccoli and set aside to use as crunchy croutons later on.
- Peel and slice the onion and crush the garlic. Heat the oil in a large, lidded saucepan and gently fry the onion and garlic until soft.
- Meanwhile, chop the remaining broccoli and cauliflower - it doesn't need to be in neat florets, just chop into fairly small pieces. You can use most of the stalk of the broccoli too - just trim off the end and finely slice the stalk.
- When the onion is soft, add the broccoli and cauliflower to the pan. Pour in the vegetable stock, and bring to the boil. Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Reduce to a gentle simmer and cover with a lid. Cook for 12-14 minutes until the broccoli and cauliflower are soft.
- Remove from the heat then use a hand blender to blitz to a smooth purée. Add the vegan cream and parsley (leaves only, not the stalks) and blitz again. Taste and adjust seasoning if required.
- In a small frying pan, heat a little olive oil and gently fry the small broccoli and cauliflower florets you set aside. Cook for 5-7 minutes - they should be nutty and firm but cooked through. Sprinkle with salt and divide between the bowls of soup as a garnish. Serve immediately.
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
"Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice" Hello! Magazine
Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected. If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding