These beautiful vegan black bean tacos with avocado & roasted peppers are incredibly easy to make, and perfect for a lazy weekend lunch or a speedy weeknight supper.
Just over a year ago I shared the exciting news that my brand new cookbook, 'Vegan in 15' had hit the shelves . Published by Short Books, it is crammed full of speedy (15 minute!) vegan recipes which are easy, delicious and with no weird or whacky ingredients in sight.
And what a year it has been. So many lovely folks tagging me in pictures of their 15-minute dinners on instagram, (search #Vegan In15), recipes from the book featured in The Times, 'i' newspaper, Veggie Magazine, Cook Vegan, Vegan Live, Vegan Food & Living, and reviews in HELLO! and lots of my favourite food blogs. A whirlwind of vegan excitement.
If you haven't picked up your copy yet, you can hop over to Amazon where it is currently on sale for just £6.29, or head down to Waterstones, Foyles or many independent bookshops.
To celebrate its first birthday, I'll be posting a couple of recipes from the book here on The Veg Space, and the first of these is for these beautiful Black Bean, Avocado & Roasted Pepper Tacos which are incredibly easy to make, and perfect for a lazy weekend lunch or a speedy weeknight supper.
Creating 15-minute recipes means being a bit smart with 'cheat' ingredients - knowing which ones taste good and work well in the right recipes, and which aren't worth bothering with. These tacos feature ready-roasted peppers from a jar, which are brilliant to keep in the fridge - I use them in sandwiches and wraps, (they go really well with hummus or guacamole), or chopped into cous cous or pasta dishes.
The taco 'shells' here are toasted tortilla wraps, rather than those ready-made pre-fried U-shaped taco shells you can buy in supermarkets. In my opinion these are infinitely tastier, chewy and charred rather than razor-sharp and rock hard, and they are much easier to keep the filling inside! I often use those little mini-wraps which are quite popular now, a bit easier to hold and eat than the larger ones, but either will work well.
What is your favourite taco stuffing?
Black Bean & Avocado Tacos
- 1 tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
- half a red onion
- 1 tsp ready-chopped garlic / garlic purée
- 200 g tinned black beans
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 1 roasted red pepper (from a jar)
- half an avocado
- juice of half a lime
- handful fresh coriander
- 2 tortilla wraps (or 4 small wraps)
- Heat the oil in a small frying pan. Peel and slice the onion, and add to the pan, followed by the garlic. Cook for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse the black beans and put them in. Season well with salt and black pepper, and cook for a further 3-4 minutes on a medium heat, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, halve the cherry tomatoes, and slice the pepper into thin strips. Remove the stone from the avocado and cut into 1cm chunks. Combine the tomato, pepper and avocado in a small bowl, and season with salt and black pepper. Squeeze over the lime juice and toss everything to combine.
- Heat a second frying pan, and gently toast the tortillas on each side until just turning brown.
- Roughly chop the coriander leaves and mix them through the tomato and avocado mixture.
- Layer up the toasted tortillas with beans and onions, then the tomato, pepper and avocado mixture, and serve immediately.
Don't forget to pin the recipe for later, or to share with friends → → → → →
This is a recipe from my new book, 'Vegan in 15'*. Hop over to Amazon for a look. Thanks for your support!
And if you haven't yet signed up, you can get a monthly roundup of all my recipes and giveaways delivered to your inbox absolutely free - just click here to subscribe to The Veg Space monthly newsletter..
I'm linking this recipe with CookBlogShare hosted this week by Easy Peasy Foodie
This post contains affiliate links