This creamy vegan gnocchi with wild mushrooms is a one-pot, 20 minute recipe. White wine, garlic and juicy mushrooms make a deliciously rich sauce.
Here's a rather lovely recipe to start the year - a new addition to the '20 Minute Meals' series. One-pot suppers seem particularly popular at the moment, so here's a Creamy Wild Mushroom One-Pot Vegan Gnocchi that will be on the table in under 20 minutes, and is fairly epic winter-warmer comfort food.
Cooking the gnocchi in its creamy, garlicky, white wine and mushroom sauce means that it isn't just coated in the sauce, it is totally infused with the flavours. And what's more, one-pot cooking saves on washing up too. Excellent all round.
What you need to make your Vegan Gnocchi
Gnocchi (obviously!). More and more supermarket brands of gnocchi are now vegan but do always check the label for egg or milk powder. I used De Cecco which is vegan and has a really lovely texture.
Mushrooms I say 'wild' mushrooms but it is entirely up to you what varieties, or what you can get hold of in your local supermarket. I went for a mix of portobello, chestnut and shiitake. They all have something very different to add - portobello in big thick 'meaty' slices, chestnut that really holds its bite when cooked unlike other mushrooms, and shiitake for their fabulous texture. They may be traditional to asian recipes but I love them in this dish.
White wine Never cook with a wine that you wouldn't drink! There's no point in spending a fortune on wine that you're going to bubble down in this garlicky sauce, but don't use a bottle that's been sitting open for a week or two! A crisp, dry white like a sauvignon or pinot grigio will work well, nothing too sweet.
I'm often asked what to use if you don't want to use wine. Just increase the vegetable stock so that you have 250ml liquid. It will still taste great!
Vegan cheese Don't be outraged by the 'cheese' in the photos - that's one of my favourite vegan cheeses, Violife's Prosociano (parmesan flavour) - definitely worth a try if you're missing a sprinkling of parmesan on your Italian suppers.
What else can I make with Mushrooms?
Here are a few mushroom recipes from blogging friends which might be of interest:
- Chris’ Marinated Mushrooms with Crispy Croutons and Sage from Thinly Spread looks fabulous!
- Jac’s Creamy Chestnut Mushroom Pasta Salad from Tinned Tomatoes… yum!
- Chris’ Papperdelle with Squash, Chestnuts, Mushrooms and Sage is delicious, with both chestnuts and chestnut mushrooms!
…or one of my most popular recipes, Chestnut Mushroom Bourguignon is a winner of a 20-minute recipe too.
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
"Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice" Hello! Magazine
Reader Testimonials: Vegan Mushroom Gnocchi
This vegan gnocchi is one of the most popular recipes on the blog, and almost every week I'm tagged in a photo on instagram from a reader who has tried the recipe.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "Thanks for this! Well done on including the Shiitake mushrooms 🙂 so meaty and utterly delicious!" Edward
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "The gnocchi is DELICIOUS 😋 " Jan
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "I made a vegetarian version of this and it was fantastic. So glad I found your page!" Louise
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "This creamy gnocchi with mushrooms was FANTASTIC!" @hungry_b*t*hes_dont_budget
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "I made this today and it’s so tasty – I used vegan cream cheese instead of the cream and Parmesan and let it melt in at the end. It’s a very easy recipe so will definitely be repeating again!" Danielle
Please do save this recipe on Pinterest --> --> --> Sharing my posts helps me to keep creating free vegan recipes!
I love hearing from you! Do send me pictures of your very own vegan gnocchi on:
tagging me @thevegspace or using the hashtag #thevegspace to show me how you got on!
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
IF YOU LIKED THAT...
.... you might also enjoy these vegan recipes from The Veg Space:
- Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected.
- If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided.
- Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding
Creamy One-Pot Vegan Gnocchi with wild mushrooms
- 5 small shallots (or 1-2 large shallots or a small onion)
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 1 tsp ready-chopped garlic / garlic purée
- 250 g mixed mushrooms (I used portobello, chestnut and shiitake)
- 500 g ready-made gnocchi (check it is vegan)
- 125 ml white wine (check it is vegan)
- 125 ml vegetable stock
- handful baby spinach
- 3 tbsp soya cream
- vegan parmesan-style 'cheese' (optional)
- Peel and finely slice the shallots. Heat the oil in a large, lidded frying pan or casserole dish and gently fry the shallots and garlic for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften.
- Thickly slice or halve the mushrooms (depending on their size), and add to the pan. Turn up the heat and cook for 3-4 minutes until they have released their juices. Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Add the gnocchi and then the white wine, and let it bubble for a minute, then pour over the vegetable stock, turn down to a medium simmer, cover with the lid and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Roughly chop the spinach, then stir it in, followed by the soya cream. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary, then serve immediately, with a grating of vegan 'parmesan'.