Shrove Tuesday is fast approaching, so here’s a stack of sweet and fluffy pancakes which make a lovely treat for breakfast or brunch, (though they are so quick and easy to make there’s no need to save them just for special occasions!). The magic of these is the apple purée (or shop-bought apple sauce as I use for convenience) which makes a great egg replacer in all sorts of vegan recipes, as well as providing an apple-y sweetness to go with the blackberries here.
I know, blackberries aren’t in season any more, but as so many supermarkets are now selling frozen blackberries at very reasonable prices, (or you might have a freezer still stocked up from blackberry foraging in the autumn), thankfully we can enjoy these at any time of year.
Pancake batter like this is just so incredibly easy to make if you have a blender, food processor or even a mini-chopper – the ingredients are simply blitzed together, then are ready to dollop into the pan immediately. I used my trusty Optimum Blender for these little beauties – do take a look if you’re in the market for a high-speed blender, I’m a huge fan!
You can stir just about any ingredient through this batter in place of the mashed blackberries – how about:
- Raisins and chopped pecan nuts
- Dark chocolate chips and grated orange zest
- Chopped dried cranberries and flaked almonds
- Poppy seeds and lemon zest
- 1 eating apple
- 150 g fresh blackberries (or frozen, defrosted)
- knob dairy-free margarine
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 50 ml apple juice
- 100 g apple sauce (or puréed cooked apples)
- 150 ml dairy-free milk
- 120 g self-raising flour
- pinch salt
- Core and slice the apple, and place in a small frying pan with the dairy-free margarine, caster sugar and apple juice. Bring to the boil and cook for 3 minutes, then add 100g of the blackberries. Continue to cook until the liquid had reduced to a syrupy sauce, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- To make the pancake batter, blitz the apple sauce, dairy-free milk, flour and salt in a blender or food processor, or with a hand-blender, then mash in the remaining 50g of blackberries with a fork.
- Heat a large frying pan, add a knob of dairy-free margarine, and pour in 2 tbsp batter to make a small, fairly thick pancake. Repeat to make 2 or 3 in the pan at a time if there is space. Cook for a minute or two until golden brown underneath, then flip over and cook for a further minute. Remove from the pan and serve topped with the fruit and drizzled in the syrup.
If you’re looking for vegan pancake recipes you might also enjoy:
Don’t forget that my new book Vegan in 15 is out now, and available to order on Amazon. Many thanks for your support!
Disclosure: I am a Froothie affiliate – if you order a blender via the links above I will receive a small commission. Thanks for your support!