These noodles are incredibly quick and easy to make, and taste fantastic too. Just the sort of dinner we've been eating a lot of since baby #2 arrived six weeks ago. I'm quickly re-learning the art of one-handed cooking, and eating a meal whilst it is still hot with both a knife and fork seems a dim and distant memory!
Variety packs of fresh 'exotic' or 'speciality' mushrooms are now sold in most supermarkets, or you can use a mixture of shiitake, oyster, enoki and any other exotic varieties you can get hold of. They aren’t the cheapest mushrooms around, but the combination of textures and flavours are worth it.
Sweet chilli sauce really isn’t particularly spicy, so if you want to turn up the heat a little, add a thinly sliced red chilli to the pan with the mushrooms.
Who needs a takeaway when this will be on the table in less than 15 minutes?!
Exotic Mushroom & Cashew Sweet Chilli Noodles
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 200 g mixed ‘exotic’ mushrooms (or a mix of oyster and shiitake)
- 4 spring onions
- 3 tbsp cashew nuts
- 150 g (3 nests) wholewheat noodles (check they are egg-free)
- 3 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 150 ml water
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Halve or quarter any large mushrooms, leaving smaller ones whole, and add to the pan. Trim and slice the spring onions and add to the pan, along with the cashew nuts.
- Fill a saucepan with boiling water, and add the noodles. Simmer for 5-6 minutes until just cooked through. Drain and set aside.
- In a mug or small bowl, mix the chilli sauce, soy sauce and water to a smooth sauce. When the mushrooms are cooked and cashews are golden brown, tip the sauce into the frying pan, and when it is bubbling, add the noodles. Stir to combine, then serve immediately.
If you're looking for quick noodle dishes, take a look at:
- Spicy Sesame & Edamame Noodles
- Tenderstem & Cucumber Soba Noodle Salad
- Shiitake Miso Noodle Bowl
- Thai Coconut Noodle Soup
- Peanut & Ginger Soba Noodles with Chestnut Mushrooms
For more 15 minute vegan meal ideas, don’t forget that my new book Vegan in 15 is out now, and available to order on Amazon. Many thanks for your support!
I'm linking this post with two blogging challenges:
- Meat Free Mondays hosted by the lovely Jac over at Tinned Tomatoes, and
- CookBlogShare which this week is at Hijacked by Twins, and is co-hosted by Mandy at Sneaky Veg and Eb at Easy Peasy Foodie.