This vibrant green broccoli and pea soup is packed with flavour and deliciously creamy with peas, lemon and basil. Quick and easy to make, a filling and nutritious lunch.
🍴Why you will love this recipe
If you're looking for a lunchtime soup that's packed full of goodness and creamy and delicious too, look no further! This dreamy broccoli and pea soup is vibrant in both colour and flavour, with zingy lemon and basil.
This soup is very inexpensive to make, and freezes brilliantly, so a great project for a weekend meal prep and stocking up the freezer. Using the whole head of broccoli (including the stalk!) is a great way to bulk out your soup that's both cheap and packed with even more nutrients.
I topped mine with a swirl of extra virgin olive oil and some fresh basil, but this would also be great with garlicky croutons, some shavings of vegan parmesan or just a hunk of crusty bread instead.
📝 What you need
Broccoli Using the whole head of broccoli, stalk and all, gives the soup its bulk and lots of lovely nutrients. Use a nice big head of broccoli to get a big quantity of soup, so you can stock up the freezer if you have leftovers!
Peas give a smooth creaminess to the soup, a little sweetness and even more nutrients... yum! You can use either fresh or frozen peas. If you're podding your own, take a look at my delicious Peapod Soup with the leftover pods!
Spinach is mainly responsible for the lusciously vibrant green colour of this soup - add it just before blitzing so it doesn't lose its colour.
Lemon gives such a pop of fresh, citrussy flavour to this soup, which goes really well with the basil.
👩🏽🍳 How to make your Broccoli and Pea Soup
For a full, printable recipe with ingredients and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this page.
Slice the onion and crush the garlic. Fry them gently in a large saucepan. Break off the broccoli florets and trim and chop the stalk. Add to the pan.
Add the vegetable stock and bring to the boil, then simmer for 8 minutes, adding the peas half way through so they are just cooked.
Stir the spinach through the soup then add the basil and lemon and blitz to a very smooth purée, (this might take a few minutes - keep going!).
🔪 Top Tips & FAQs
The key to a velvety texture for your soup is to blitz for much longer than you think you need to - we're talking 2 minutes or so. Time well spent - you don't regret it!
Simmer the soup only until the broccoli and peas are just cooked through. That way they will retain more colour, texture and nutrients.
Garnish your bowls of broccoli and pea soup with extra virgin olive oil, dairy-free cream, basil leaves, black pepper or crunchy croutons.
Yes, this soup freezes really well so why not make a double batch whilst you're at it and stock up the freezer?
You can store this soup in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Broccoli and Pea Soup
- 2 tablespoon rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 onion
- 1 clove garlic or 1 teaspoon ready-chopped garlic / garlic purée
- 1 head broccoli
- 200 g frozen peas
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- handful baby spinach
- handful fresh basil
- ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoon dairy-free cream optional
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Peel and slice the onion and add to the saucepan, followed by the garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften.
- Cut the stalk from the broccoli, trim the end and remove any tough bits of outer skin. Chop the stalk roughly and add to the pan. Cut the remainder into small florets and add to the pan.
- Pour in the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 4 minutes then add the frozen peas. Continue to simmer for 3-4 minutes until the broccoli and peas are just cooked through.
- Season well with salt and pepper, then remove from the heat.
- Add the spinach, lemon juice, basil and (optional) Vegan cream to the soup, then blitz it very thoroughly in a blender, food processor or with a hand blender until completely smooth - this may take a minute or two, so keep going! If the soup seems too thick, just add a little more water and blitz again.
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
"Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice" Hello! Magazine
Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected. If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding