You may have noticed that I like my soups very bright and very green, (see Peapod & Little Gem Soup!), and if they are creamy and super-tasty too. that's a bonus.
If you're taking part in Veganuary and trying to make sure you get a protein boost at every mealtime, adding beans to your lunchtime soup before blending is such an easy way of doing this. Not only do they bulk out the soup, (very cheaply), but once blended they add a creamy texture which makes your soup taste like it has a generous slug of double cream in it, when in fact it is vegan!
I topped mine with a swirl of coconut yoghurt and some fresh basil, just to add to the decadance but this would be great with garlicky croutons, some shavings of vegan parmesan or just a hunk of crusty bread instead.
Creamy Broccoli & Cannellini Soup
- 2 tbsp rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 1 onion
- 1 tsp ready-chopped garlic / garlic purée
- 1 head broccoli
- 400 g tin cannellini beans
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- large handful baby spinach
- 3 tbsp dairy-free yoghurt (soya or coconut)
- small handful fresh basil leaves
- half a lemon
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan. Peel and slice the onion and add to the saucepan, followed by the garlic. Cook for 2-3 minutes until starting to soften.
- Chop the stalk off the broccoli, trim off its woody end, and peel off the outer skin. Chop the stalk finely and add to the pan. Chop the remaining head of broccoli into small florets and add to the pan.
- Drain and rinse the cannellini beans and add to the pan. Pour in the vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer for 7-8 minutes until the broccoli is just soft. Season well with salt and pepper, then remove from the heat.
- Add the spinach to the soup, then blitz it very thoroughly until completely smooth in a blender, food processor or with a hand blender - this may take a minute or two, so keep going! If the soup seems too thick, just add a little more water and blitz again.
- Finely chop the basil, and mix it with the dairy-free yoghurt in a small bowl. Squeeze in the juice of half a lemon, mix well, then drizzle over the bowls of soup just before serving.
And don’t forget that my new book Vegan in 15 is out now, and available to order on Amazon, (whoop!). Many thanks for your support!