There's nothing lovelier than a homemade gift, and edible presents are the best of the lot. I made a few jars of red onion marmalade many years ago, and one particular recipient has dropped very un-subtle hints every year since, wondering when the next batch might be appearing.... so here it is, along with a recipe for you to make your own.
This lovely condiment is a bit like a fairly sweet chutney. It is such a handy thing to have in the fridge, and works really well in all sorts of dishes - I've photographed it here in little canapés with a little circle of toast and dollop of hummus, but it is also great in sandwiches and wraps (like a chutney), served with veggie sausages and mash, as a pizza topping, or even stirred through some instant veggie gravy to give it an extra special twist.
What will you do with yours?
🍽 If you liked that...
.... you might also enjoy these vegan recipes from The Veg Space:
Red Onion & Merlot Marmalade
- 1 kg red onions
- 75 g dairy-free margarine
- 75 g caster sugar
- 8 sprigs fresh thyme
- 500 ml merlot (or other red wine - check it is vegan)
- 150 ml red wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Peel the onions and slice them as finely as possible.
- Heat the margarine in a large saucepan or heavy-bottomed pan, then add the onions and sugar, then strip the leaves from the thyme, adding them to the pan as you go. Season well with salt and black pepper. Cook over a low heat for about half an hour, until the onions are completely soft.
- Add the red wine and both vinegars, then continue to cook for a further 20 minutes until the mixture has turned thick and syrupy.
- Remove from the heat, then when the mixture has cooled, spoon into clean, sterilised jars. The marmalade will keep in the fridge for up to 3 months.
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected. If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding