This rich and treacly vegan sticky toffee pudding is an easy, crowd-pleasing dessert, best served with a scoop of vegan ice cream.
Hands up if you don't like sticky toffee pudding? No, I thought not.... so here's a vegan sticky toffee pudding recipe to celebrate the start of a new school year, and the return of The Veg Space which has been gathering dust for a little while, (sorry all!).
If you're a baking novice you might think sticky toffee pudding sounds a bit daunting, but don't be put off - it really is straightforward. The toffee sauce is a chuck-it-all-in-the-microwave affair, and the sponge is one-bowl job - give it a go.
I like making these little individual puddings - mine were made in a muffin tin but if you have proper mini pudding basins, all the better. You could also make one large pudding in a cake tin or baking dish and cut sticky slices for your guests.
Regular readers will know how much I love stocking my freezer with lovely things, and batch cooking as much as possible. Just imagine having 11 sticky toffee puddings in your freezer ready to microwave in just a few minutes when you've had a rubbish day? (11 as I'm assuming you'll want to eat one (at least...) straight from the oven!
Be a good friend to your future self and stack your freezer with these little beauties.
Usually, I like to pour half the toffee sauce over the puddings as soon as they come out of the oven, then serve the other half at the table. However, if you're freezing these I recommend pouring in as much as you can whilst they are still in the tin, then, when they have cooled and you have put them into the tub you're freezing them in, pour any leftover sauce over the top.
📝 What you need
You will need:
- Microwavable jug or bowl (fairly large)
- Microwave (or small saucepan)
- Small bowl
- 12-hole muffin tin or 12 individual pudding basins, (or a large cake tin or baking dish to make one large pudding)
- Food mixer OR large bowl and hand mixer
- dairy-free butter / margarine
- dairy-free cream
- dairy-free yoghurt
- chopped dates
- caster sugar
- dark brown sugar
- bicarbonate of soda
- self-raising flour
If you liked that...
.... you might also enjoy these vegan recipes from The Veg Space:
Ultimate Vegan Sticky Toffee Pudding
For the Toffee Sauce
- 100 g dairy-free butter / margarine
- 65 g caster sugar
- 30 g dark brown sugar
- 100 ml dairy-free cream
For the Puddings
- 170 g chopped dates
- 1.5 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 60 g pecan nuts
- 50 g dairy-free butter / margarine
- 80 g caster sugar
- 80 g dark brown sugar
- 50 g dairy-free yoghurt
- 175 g self-raising flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
To make the toffee sauce:
- Put all the sauce ingredients in a large microwaveable jug or bowl, (make sure it is big enough for the sauce to bubble up quite a way without spilling over). Add a pinch of salt.
- Microwave on full power for 1 minute 30 seconds, then stir and repeat for another 1 minute 30 seconds. If the sauce has bubbled up, remove and set aside to cool and thicken. If it hasn't yet bubbled up, continue to microwave for 30 second blasts until it does so.
- If you don't have a microwave, just cook the sauce in a saucepan until bubbling then set aside to cool.
To make the puddings:
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- Put the dates and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl and just cover with boiling water. Set aside to soak.
- Chop the pecans.
- Grease your muffin tins or pudding bowls.
- In a food mixer or large bowl, beat the margarine and sugar together until light and fluffy, then add the yoghurt and mix until fully combined.
- Add the flour and baking powder along with a pinch of salt, then beat again.
- Add the dates with all their soaking water, and the chopped pecans. Mix.
- Divide the mixture between the 12 tins / bowls and bake for 20-25 minutes until an inserted skewer or knife comes out clean.
- Prick the top of each pudding with a skewer or cocktail stick, then pour over half of the toffee sauce. Leave them to cool in their tins.
- Serve with the remaining toffee sauce poured over the top, and a scoop of dairy-free ice cream.
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
"Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice" Hello! Magazine