This deliciously lemony spring greens side dish is so easy to make. Stir-fried with spring onions and garlic with a zesty lemon dressing.
🍴 Why you will love this recipe
This tasty side dish of stir-fried spring greens with spring onions and a lemony dressing is a great accompaniment to all sorts of dishes. It is so easy to make and on the table in under ten minutes. Maximum flavour with minimum fuss!
Spring Greens are very young cabbages with tender leaves and no tough stalks. They are packed with nutrients, making this delicious side dish a healthy addition to any main meal.
📝 What you need
Spring Greens are in fact very young cabbages, with more tender leaves and no tough heart like mature cabbages. You can buy them whole (as pictured above) or shredded/sliced in supermarkets.
Spring Onions add a delicious flavour to the greens. Use 6 small spring onions or 3 larger salad onions.
👩🏽🍳 How to make your Stir-fried Spring Greens
For a full, printable recipe with ingredients and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this page 👇🏼 .
Trim and finely slice the spring greens. Trim and slice the spring onions.
Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok, and fry the spring greens for 3-4 minutes until starting to wilt. Add the spring onions and continue to cook, then peel and crush the garlic clove and add to the pan. Cook for a further minute or two. Mix the lemon juice and olive oil, then pour over the spring greens. Serve immediately.
🔪 Top Tips & FAQs
For more soft and tender greens (rather than crispy), just place a lid over the frying pan for the last few minutes of cooking time. This will steam them in the pan.
Yes, the stalks are delicious but being thicker than the leaves they need slicing more finely for them to cook quickly.
Before cooking, your greens will last up to a week, but they have their best flavour and texture when they are as fresh as possible.
Once cooked, the spring greens really should be eaten as soon as possible. They don't keep well so just cook as much as you need.
Stir-fried Spring Greens with spring onions and lemon
- 200 g spring greens
- 1 tablespoon rapeseed or sunflower oil
- 6 spring onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Remove tough stalks from the spring greens, then thinly slice the leaves.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan or wok. Fry the greens for 3-4 minutes until starting to wilt. Season well with salt and black pepper.
- Meanwhile, trim and slice the spring onions and add to the pan.
- Peel and crush the garlic clove and add to the pan. Cook for a further minute or two until the greens are cooked through. Remove from the heat.
- Mix the juice of the lemon and olive oil in a small bowl, then pour over the greens. Toss through to coat. Taste and adjust seasoning, then serve immediately.
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected. If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding