These crispy and delicious stir-fried Christmas Brussels Sprouts with ginger & sesame are crispy and delicious, no soggy sprouts here!
You can’t have Christmas Dinner without a bowl of sprouts, but let’s face it, when boiled and soggy they really do live up to Nigel Slater’s scathing description: “Why are you even thinking of buying a bag of pungent, watery balls that give you wind?”.
However, here’s a method of cooking which I’ve found transforms them into something completely different. Crunchy, with golden crispy edges and flavoured with ginger and sesame seeds, there’s absolutely nothing stinky about these little beauties!
This forms part of the easy, prep-ahead Veggie & Vegan Christmas Dinner series running this week here on The Veg Space. Make sure you’re following on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter so you don’t miss a recipe!
Already posted are recipes for the centrepiece, Porcini & Chestnut Mini Wreath Roasts, and Garlic & Rosemary Roast Potatoes, and still to come are some Orange & Maple Carrots plus some other festive treats next week.
Prep Ahead Christmas Brussels Sprouts
To prepare ahead, peel and halve the sprouts the day before, and store them in an airtight container in the fridge overnight.
Vegan in 15 Cookbook
There are plenty of similarly quick and easy recipes in my new book, ‘Vegan in 15‘*.
Hop over to Amazon for a look. Thanks for your support!
THE VEG SPACE E-NEWSLETTER
If you haven’t yet signed up, you can get a regular roundup of all my recipes and giveaways delivered to your inbox absolutely free – just click here to subscribe to The Veg Space monthly newsletter.
IF YOU LIKED THAT…
…. you might also enjoy these vegan recipes from The Veg Space:
- Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected.
- If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided.
- Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding
Christmas Brussels Sprouts with ginger & sesame
- 500 g brussels sprouts
- 3 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 2 tsp ready-chopped ginger / ginger purée
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Trim the stalk ends off the sprouts, remove the outer leaves and chop them in half.
- Heat the oil in a large, lidded frying pan (or a casserole or large saucepan with a lid would also work), and add the ginger followed by the sprouts. Season generously with salt and black pepper, then cover with the lid and cook over a medium heat for 8-9 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sprouts are cooked through but still retain some bite.
- Sprinkle over the sesame seeds and stir through the sprouts, cook for a further minute, uncovered, then serve.