No summertime BBQ is complete without homemade garlic bread, served fresh from the oven – a bit too hot to tear a slice off, but just too tempting to wait until it has cooled. This vegan garlic bread probably isn’t one for health-food vegans – crusty white bread dripping in garlic ‘butter’, (or for anyone on a first date for that matter, as the garlic needs to really pack a punch).
And of course it is so easy to vegan-ise, using dairy-free margarine and, if you like, the excellent dairy-free parmesan that is now so widely available in supermarkets. There are quite a number of vegan cheeses which smell like stinky socks and taste even worse, but the ‘parmesan’ is definitely a winner and I use it a lot.
This vegan garlic bread recipe works really well with a large crusty baguette, and also with ciabatta. The key is to spread the garlic margarine all the way to the edge of each slice, on both sides – that way you don’t end up with the disappointingly dry edges which supermarket garlic baguettes so often suffer from.
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later, or to share with friends → → → → →
You might like to take a look at my Vegan BBQ Recipe Index for lots more BBQ and buffet ideas for vegans!
Do send me pictures of your very own vegan garlic bread on:
to show me how you got on!
Vegan Garlic Bread: Shopping List
You will need:
- Fresh parsley
- Dairy-free margarine
- Vegan parmesan (optional)
- Baguette or ciabatta loaf
- Dried oregano
- Kitchen foil
The Best Vegan Garlic Bread
- 1 baguette or ciabatta loaf
- 100 g dairy-free margarine
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- handful fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 4 tbsp vegan parmesan (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (fan)/ 420°F / Gas Mark 8.
- Cut the baguette or ciabatta into slices about 2cm thick, but don't cut right through to the bottom - leave the loaf in tact at the bottom.
- In a bowl, mix together the dairy-free margarine, garlic, parsley, oregano and half the vegan parmesan (if using).
- Place the sliced loaf on a large sheet of foil, and spread the garlic margarine over both sides of each slice of bread. Sprinkle the remaining vegan parmesan over the top of the loaf, then wrap it tightly in the foil and place on a baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then unwrap the foil and bake uncovered for a further 5 minutes until golden brown and crispy on top. Serve immediately.
There are plenty of quick and easy vegan recipes in my new book, ‘Vegan in 15‘*. Hop over to Amazon for a look. Thanks for your support!
And if you haven’t yet signed up, you can get a monthly roundup of all my recipes and giveaways delivered to your inbox absolutely free – just click here to subscribe to The Veg Space monthly newsletter.
I’m linking this vegan garlic bread recipe with a number of blogging challenges: