A 'buttery' and totally delicious homemade vegan garlic bread recipe. Perfect for BBQs, buffets or with your favourite crowd-pleasing meal.
No summertime BBQ is complete without homemade garlic bread, served fresh from the oven - a bit too hot to tear a slice off, but just too tempting to wait until it has cooled.
This vegan garlic bread probably isn't one for health-food vegans - crusty white bread dripping in garlic 'butter', (or for anyone on a first date for that matter, as the garlic needs to really pack a punch).
And of course it is so easy to vegan-ise, using dairy-free margarine and, if you like, the excellent dairy-free parmesan that is now so widely available in supermarkets.
There are quite a number of vegan cheeses which smell like stinky socks and taste even worse, but the 'parmesan' is definitely a winner and I use it a lot.
This vegan garlic bread recipe works really well with a large crusty baguette, and also with ciabatta. The key is to spread the garlic margarine all the way to the edge of each slice, on both sides - that way you don't end up with the disappointingly dry edges which supermarket garlic baguettes so often suffer from.
How will you serve yours?
📝 What you need
Baguette or ciabatta loaf The better the loaf, the better the garlic bread so do look out for a really good quality baguette or ciabatta if you can. Sourdough would make it extra-special!
Garlic obviously! If you're in a rush, a jar or tube of ready-chopped garlic or garlic purée would be a shortcut, but the flavour of freshly crushed garlic can't be matched so do go to the extra trouble if you can.
Dairy-free margarine I use a block vegan 'butter' rather than a tub of spread - the water content is much lower so it works much better in this recipe. My current favourites are Flora Plant Butter (block) and Naturli Block.
Vegan parmesan This is optional but does give your garlic bread that extra wow-factor. If you're not a fan of vegan cheeses in general, do give vegan parmesan a try - it is very different, with none of the stinky-socks smell often associated with cheap dairy-free cheeses! My go-to is Violife's Prosociano, available in many supermarkets.
❄️ Can I freeze my garlic bread?
Yes! I do this often - sometimes making up a whole baguette then just baking a small section and portioning off and freezing the rest for another time.
It must be frozen before cooking, however - once it is cooked you really need to eat it there and then.
Follow all the instructions up to step 4, then just put your loaf wrapped in foil straight into the freezer.
If you have a lot of BBQs over the summer it makes sense to batch-make this garlic bread, (if you have the freezer space) - buy 4 or 5 baguettes at once, make a big batch of garlic butter, prepare them then you can just defrost and cook (without getting garlicky!) any time you need it.
⭐️ Reader Testimonials
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "I made this alongside your one pot sausage pasta dish and it was 100% the best garlic bread ever. I can’t bring myself to buy ready made ever again. Delicious 👌" @jkccw
Please do save this recipe on Pinterest --> --> --> Sharing my posts helps me to keep creating free vegan recipes!
I love hearing from you! Do send me pictures of your very own vegan garlic bread on:
tagging me @thevegspace or using the hashtag #thevegspace to show me how you got on!
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
"Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice" Hello! Magazine
🥖 How to serve
Let's face it, there aren't a lot of meals that wouldn't be enhanced by a slice or two of 'buttery' garlic bread, but I particularly love to serve it alongside:
- Kate's Easy Aubergine Meatballs from Veggie Desserts
- Camilla's Slow Cooker Vegan Stew from Fab Food 4 All
- Chloe's Creamy Mushroom Pasta from Forkful of Plants
- My Ultimate Vegan Moussaka, or
- Vegan Chilli con Carne
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
🍽 If you liked that...
.... you might also enjoy these vegan recipes from The Veg Space:
- Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected.
- If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided.
- Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding
The Best Vegan Garlic Bread
- 1 baguette or ciabatta loaf
- 100 g dairy-free margarine
- 4 cloves garlic (peeled and crushed)
- handful fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 4 tbsp vegan parmesan (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 220°C (fan)/ 420°F / Gas Mark 8.
- Cut the baguette or ciabatta into slices about 2cm thick, but don't cut right through to the bottom - leave the loaf in tact at the bottom.
- In a bowl, mix together the dairy-free margarine, garlic, parsley, oregano and half the vegan parmesan (if using).
- Place the sliced loaf on a large sheet of foil, and spread the garlic margarine over both sides of each slice of bread. Sprinkle the remaining vegan parmesan over the top of the loaf, then wrap it tightly in the foil and place on a baking tray.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then unwrap the foil and bake uncovered for a further 5 minutes until golden brown and crispy on top. Serve immediately.