This fresh and herby fennel and apple salad with bulgur wheat is incredibly easy to make and a showstopping salad for a BBQ, buffet or summer lunch dish.
🍴Why you will love this recipe
A gorgeous salad with nutty bulgur wheat, crisp and fresh fennel and apple, creamy vegan feta and fresh herbs - it is simply packed with delicious flavours and textures.
This makes a perfect side-salad for a summer BBQ, or a delicious and filling lunchbox salad.
If you're transporting it for a picnic or lunch on the go, it is best to keep the dressing separate, then pour over just before serving. Also, toss the apple slices in a little lemon juice, to prevent them turning brown.
📝 What you need
Fennel has a delicate anise flavour that goes so well with the apple and vegan feta. Don't over-cook it, it should retain its crunch and flavour.
Apple gives this salad a freshness and crunch. I like to use a tangy apple variety like Cox's.
Bulgur Wheat is best known in tabbouleh, the middle eastern salad. It comes from cracked wholegrain wheat kernels, which are par-boiled then dried before packaging for quick and easy cooking at home. If you don't have any to hand, couscous or giant couscous are great alternatives in this salad, but do cook them according to their own packet instructions.
Vegan feta is one of my favourite vegan cheese alternatives - creamy, fresh and tangy. If you can't get hold of any, just leave it out - or add a squeeze of fresh lemon juice to the finished salad to replace the sharp, tangy flaovur.
👩🏽🍳 How to make your Fennel and Apple Salad with bulgur wheat
For a full, printable recipe with ingredients and detailed instructions, scroll to the bottom of this page. 👇🏼
Trim and finely slice the fennel. Fry it gently until just golden with crispy edges, and set aside.
Simmer the bulgur wheat and peas in the vegetable stock until the bulgur wheat is just cooked through, but still has some bite. Tip into a large bowl and set aside to cool. Blitz the oil, vinegar, mustard and fresh herbs into a dressing.
Core and finely slice the apple then finely cube the vegan feta. Add the fennel, apple and vegan feta to the cooled bulgur wheat and serve drizzled with the herby dressing.
🔪 Top Tips & FAQs
If you are preparing this salad ahead, don't slice the apple until the last minute, or the slices will turn brown. Or you could toss the apple slices in a little lemon juice to prevent them browning.
Don't overcook the bulgur wheat. It should retain its 'bite' and nutty flavour.
Don't overcook the fennel, either! It should still have some crunch, but be slightly golden and charred at the edges.
Yes absolutely - if you prefer, you can slice the fennel very thinly indeed, (a mandoline or food processor would be good for this), and leave it raw.
This salad will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for few days, (except for the apple slices which will turn brown - don't add them until just before serving, or if you're storing leftovers, just pick them out).
Why not try my delicious Fennel Soup with peas and lemon?
🍽 If you liked that...
.... you might also enjoy these vegan recipes from The Veg Space:
Fennel & Apple Salad with bulgur wheat
- 1 bulb of fennel
- 2 tablespoon oil (rapeseed, olive or whatever you have to hand)
- 150 g bulgur wheat
- 300 ml vegetable stock
- 100 g peas (podded weight fresh or frozen)
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- handful fresh parsley
- handful fresh mint leaves only
- 3 spring onions trimmed and sliced
- 1 apple
- 100 g vegan 'feta' cheese I like Violife's Greek White
- Slice the fennel bulb in half through the root, then trim and slice each half as finely as you can.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and gently fry the fennel just for a few minutes until it starts to turn golden brown and charred at the edges.
- Meanwhile, place the bulgur wheat, vegetable stock and peas into a large saucepan and bring to the boil. Lower the heat to a gentle simmer. Cook gently for 10 minutes or until the stock has been absorbed and the bulgur wheat is cooked, (it should still have some bite and a nutty flavour). Season with salt and black pepper, then remove from the heat and tip into a large bowl to cool.
- Next, whizz together the olive oil, vinegar, mustard, mint and parsley in a small blender (or chop finely and whisk together by hand in a bowl).
- Trim and slice the spring onions.
- Core and finely slice the apple. (If you are preparing ahead, you may want to toss the slices in lemon juice to prevent browning, or else slice and add them just before serving).
- Cut the vegan feta into small cubes.
- To serve, stir the herby dressing through the bulgur wheat. Scatter over the apple slices, then the spring onions, crumble over the feta, and top with the fennel.
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
"Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice" Hello! Magazine
Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected. If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding