Brown noodles with a brown sauce and brown mushrooms - I wasn't doing myself any favours with the photography here, but trust me that these Peanut & Ginger Soba Noodles are delicious!
If you want your dinner to look less, well, brown you could substitute egg noodles, fine rice noodles or even thick and juicy udon. But I'm a fan of the nutty buckwheat flavour of soba noodles and hope you will give them a go.
Recipe: Peanut & Ginger Soba Noodles with Chestnut MushroomsBookmark Saved!
- 2 tbsp groundnut oil or any other oil for frying
- 250 g chestnut mushrooms
- 4 spring onions
- 2 tbsp sesame oil
- 2 tbsp peanut butter
- 1 tbsp lazy ginger or a 2cm piece of root ginger, peeled and grated
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 red chilli seeds removed
- 250 g soba noodles
- 20 g dry roasted peanuts roughly chopped
- Handful fresh coriander roughly chopped
- Thickly slice the chestnut mushrooms and fry with the groundnut oil in a large pan over a medium heat for 8-10 minutes. Peel and slice each spring onion into 1cm pieces. Add to the pan with the mushrooms for their last 3-4 minutes of cooking.
- In a mini-chopper, food processer, blender or similar, blitz together the sesame oil, peanut butter, ginger, lime juice, soy sauce and chilli.
- Boil the noodles in plenty of water for 3-4 minutes until al dente. Drain.
- Add the peanut & ginger sauce to your mushroom pan and return to the heat for 1 minute until the sauce is heated through. Add the noodles to the pan, stir until they are fully coated, plate up then sprinkle each portion with the chopped peanuts and coriander and serve immediately.