This simple shiitake mushroom noodle soup with miso and pak choi, lemon and ginger is a quick and easy supper for one. Clean, green, and ready in 15 minutes!
Here's a super-speedy weeknight supper for one: a deeply savoury miso broth, with udon noodles, pak choi, spring onions and shiitake mushrooms.
I can't claim to be part of the 'clean eating' movement, but I do find that clean is a really good description for food like this.... clear broth, a zing of ginger and lemon, bright green pak choi - this just has to be good for you, as well as deliciously filling.
📝 What you need
- Spring onion
- Shiitake mushrooms
- Pak choi
- Ginger paste (or grated fresh ginger)
- Miso paste
- Vegetable stock powder
- Flat udon noodles (or soba noodles would also work well)
- Sunflower oil
You can use this miso noodle soup recipe as a base for all sorts of delicious variations. How about adding:
- Cubes of silken tofu
- Shredded savoy cabbage
- Vegan 'chicken' pieces, pre-cooked
- Thinly sliced carrot
- Red pepper
- Mangetout peas
⭐️ Reader Testimonials
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "I've been in such a rut always making the same ten and this was such a nice fresh change. Me and my partner really liked it, and will definitely make again!" Phoebe
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "Very good. I made it for my dinner on a day that I knew I would be tired by the time it came to cooking. I added silken extra firm tofu at the same time as the miso and it was delicious and very filling. Thanks for a great recipe that I will make again and use as a template for other variations = adding garlic and thinly sliced carrots comes to mind. Thanks for a great recipe!" Vivian
Shiitake Mushroom Noodle Soup with miso
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil
- 1 spring onion finely sliced
- 75 g fresh shiitake mushrooms halved or thickly sliced
- 1 teaspoon ginger purée (or grated fresh ginger)
- 1 head pak choi
- 1 tablespoon miso paste
- 600 ml boiling water
- 1 teaspoon vegetable stock powder
- 1 bundle c.85g noodles (I used flat udon noodles, and soba would also work well here)
- juice of half a lemon
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan and add the spring onion and mushrooms. Fry gently for 2-3 minutes until softened.
- Meanwhile, separate the green leaves from the white stalks of the pak choi. Slice the stalks into 1cm pieces and add to the pan along with the ginger, frying for a further minute until starting to soften.
- Add the boiling water and stock powder to the pan. Bring to the boil, then add the noodles and cook for 5-6 minutes until tender.
- Finely slice the green tops of the pak choi.
- Once the noodles are tender, add the pak choi leaves and miso paste to the pan, and simmer gently for a minute or two.
- Pour into a bowl, squeeze over the lemon juice, and eat immediately!
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
"Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice" Hello! Magazine
Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected. If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding