This easy vegan pâté makes a great sandwich filling, dip or alternative to a cheeseboard served with crackers.
Finding vegan fillers for sandwiches and wraps can sometimes be a challenge, so here's a super-quick recipe for a 'throw it all in and blitz' pâté that is lip-smackingly tasty, packed with protein, and keeps well in the fridge to use whenever you need it.
This isn't just for sandwiches, but also makes a great dinner party starter with crispy toast and green salad, a simple party dip for crisps or crudités, or serve it with crackers in place of a cheeseboard.
Using the oil from the sun-dried tomato jar or tub makes this extra tomato-ey, with lemon juice and fresh thyme to finish it with a zing.
Who knew butterbeans could taste so good?!
Butterbeans are nutritional powerhouses for vegans - rich in protein but low in fat, and also a good source of fibre, iron and B-vitamins.
🔪 How to use your pâté
I use this pate or dip in all sorts of ways:
- A tasty filling for jacket potatoes
- A sandwich spread, particularly good with sliced beetroot (cooked, not the vinegary stuff!) and salad leaves
- A dinner party starter served with crispy toast and a green salad
- A party dip for crudites and breadsticks
- A 'cheeseboard' replacement with crackers and grapes
- Even tossed through pasta as a 'sauce'
⭐️ Reader Testimonials
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "I fancied a change from hummus and just happened to have these ingredients in the cupboard. Really tasty recipe! Definitely going on my favourites list. Thank you!" Leah
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "Amazing and so easy… I was expecting a poor-man’s hummus but this is so different. Definitely a regular make for packed lunches." WholePeanut
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "Wow! So very easy and incredibly tasty. I added a bit of red chilli to give it an extra kick. My 8 year old son has requested it in his lunchbox this week. Cheap and full of protein; perfect!" Jen
Sun-Dried Tomato Butterbean Pâté
- 10 slices sun-dried tomatoes (from a jar or tub)
- 2 tablespoon oil (from sun-dried tomato jar/tub)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3-4 tablespoon water
- 400 g tin butterbeans
- 5-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- salt and black pepper
- Tip the sun-dried tomatoes, oil, lemon juice and 3 tablespoon water into a blender or food processor.
- Blitz until smooth.
- Drain and rinse the butterbeans and add to the blender with leaves from the thyme sprigs.
- Blitz to a smooth paste, then taste and add salt and black pepper as required. If the pâté is a little too stiff, add another tablespoon of water and blitz again.
- Serve with toast or as a filling for sandwiches, wraps or bagels.
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
"Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice" Hello! Magazine
- Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected.
- If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided.
- Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding