This creamy super green pasta sauce is as delicious as it is nutritious - made in under 10 minutes from peas, basil, lemon and pine nuts.
I could happily eat pasta every day of the week... and there are just so many sauces to choose from. Creamy, tomato-ey, bolognese-y, spicy... what will it be today?
When I'm in the mood for something creamy but also fairly 'virtuous' I always go for this quick and easy super green pasta sauce that you can whizz up in the time it takes your pasta to cook.
It is a slightly 'saucier' version of a pea pesto. Peas are little nutritional powerhouses, packed with protein and vitamins.
Along with spinach, lemon, pine nuts, basil and mint, this simple pasta supper becomes a delicious and comforting bowl of goodness.
📝 What you need
- baby spinach
- fresh basil
- fresh mint
- frozen peas
- garlic purée / ready-chopped garlic
- pine nuts
- pasta of your choice (I like spaghetti, linguine or tagliatelle with this sauce)
A mini-chopper or hand blender is really handy for whizzing up this green pasta sauce quickly and easily. For small chopping or blitzing jobs like this I use my Breville Active Compact Food Processor* which at £30 is a bargain and really handy for all sorts of quick tasks in the kitchen.
Or for bigger jobs or larger batches for the freezer, I will get out my Magimix Pro Food Processor* which has three different sized bowls for any size job. (This one was a gift for review from Magimix some years ago, but I’m a big fan and haven’t ever been paid to say so!)
🍽 If you liked that...
.... you might also enjoy these vegan recipes from The Veg Space:
Super Green Pasta Sauce
For the sauce:
- 1 cup frozen peas (no need to measure, about a small mug full)
- handful baby spinach
- handful fresh basil
- handful fresh mint
- 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon ready-chopped garlic / garlic purée
- 2 tablespoon pine nuts
- 160 g pasta (I like spaghetti, linguine or tagliatelle with this sauce)
- Bring 2 saucepans of water to the boil (1 large-ish, and 1 small). Add the spaghetti to one, and the peas to the other.
- When the peas are cooked (about 4 minutes), drain and tip into a blender or food processor, but set aside a few tablespoons to serve whole.
- Add to the blender the spinach, basil, mint, juice of the lemon, garlic and pine nuts, then blitz until smooth. Add some water, a little at a time, until it reaches a sauce-like consistency. Taste and season with salt and black pepper as required.
- When the spaghetti has cooked, drain it, then return it to the saucepan. Pour in the sauce, return the pan to a gentle heat and mix well to combine as the sauce warms through. Serve immediately scattered with the remaining peas.
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
"Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice" Hello! Magazine
Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected. If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided. Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding