Everyone has their own idea of what makes a ‘perfect’ cookie, don’t they. Are you in the chewy or the crunchy camp? Slightly salty or very sweet? Round and thick or large and thin? Well if you like chewy, salty, large thin-ish cookies, then my vegan peanut butter cookies will be for you…. read on!
Peanut butter is super-trendy at the moment, (not that it ever went out of fashion), and with good reason. I’m sure there’s some ratio of salty-sweet and fat-protein that our bodies are programmed to crave, and peanut butter really hits the spot. Perfect for vegans, of course, as peanuts are jam-packed with protein, vitamins and minerals.
(The sugar content is of course less good for you, so just have one at a time!).
You could also mix up the recipe by:
- Using almond or cashew butter and chopped almonds/cashews in place of peanuts
- Adding dark chocolate chips instead of the peanuts (check they are vegan)
- Adding sultanas or dried cranberries for a fruity twist
Don’t forget to pin the recipe for later, or to share with friends → → → → →
You might like to take a look at my Vegan Baking Recipe Index for lots more delicious cakes and bakes made vegan!
Do send me pictures of your very own vegan peanut butter cookies on:
to show me how you got on!
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies: Equipment & Shopping List
You will need:
- Baking tray
- Baking parchment or greaseproof paper
- Food mixer (or large bowl and electric whisk)
- Dairy-free milk
- Dairy-free margarine
- Peanut butter
- Caster sugar
- Dark brown muscavado sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Plain flour
- Bicarbonate of soda
Vegan Peanut Butter Cookies
- 185 g peanut butter (I used crunchy, but smooth will work fine too)
- 85 g dairy-free margarine
- 95 g caster sugar
- 100 g dark brown muscavado sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 160 g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tbsp dairy-free milk
- 50 g peanuts (I like to use salted peanuts, but use unsalted if you prefer a sweeter cookie)
- Preheat the oven to 160°C / 320°F / Gas Mark 3.
- In a food mixer (or large bowl and electric whisk) beat together the peanut butter, dairy-free margarine, sugar and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Stir in the flour, bicarbonate of soda and dairy-free milk until fully combined. Roughly chop the peanuts, add to the bowl and mix until they are evenly spread through the dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 balls of a fairly equal size, and place on a baking tray covered with baking parchment or greaseproof paper. Squash the balls with a fork in a cross pattern, then bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cookies from the oven after 15 minutes - they will still be very soft, don't panic! They will harden as they cool - this is the secret to a chewy cookie. After 10-15 minutes they should be firm enough to move to a cooling rack, (or to eat if you just can't wait!).
There are plenty of quick and easy vegan recipes in my new book, ‘Vegan in 15‘*. Hop over to Amazon for a look. Thanks for your support!
And if you haven’t yet signed up, you can get a monthly roundup of all my recipes and giveaways delivered to your inbox absolutely free – just click here to subscribe to The Veg Space monthly newsletter.
I’m linking this vegan peanut butter cookie recipe with a number of blogging challenges: