The idea of making a mini individual Shepherds' Pie in a baked potato isn't an original one.... these are all over Pinterest and Facebook. But I haven't seen many vegetarian or vegan ones yet, so here's my take on the great British classic given a potato-skin twist.... my Vegan Baked Potato Shepherds' Pies.
My rich, gravy filling is based on puy lentils & mushrooms braised in red wine, with carrots, parsnips and all the usual Shepherds' Pie loveliness. Delish.
Of course if you don't have a piping bag, (or think it looks too much like hard work), you can just dollop on the potato topping with a spoon. But piping really does take just minutes and is such a satisfying way to finish off these little pies!
Don't forget to pin the recipe for later, or to share with friends → → → → →
You might like to take a look at my Vegan Mains Recipe Index for lots more vegan comfort food suppers!
Do send me pictures of your very own vegan baked potato shepherds pie on:
to show me how you got on!
Vegan Baked Potato Shepherds' Pies: Shopping List
You will need:
- Large baking potatoes
- Puy lentils
- Tomato purée
- Red wine
- Vegetable stock powder (check it is vegan)
- Dairy-free margarine
Vegan Baked Potato Shepherds' Pie
- 4 very large baking potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 parsnip, peeled and diced
- 150 g mushrooms, sliced
- 150 g puy lentils, rinsed
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 125 ml red wine
- 1 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 350 ml water
- 2 tbsp dairy-free margarine
- Preheat your oven to 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5. Prick the potatoes a couple of times, spray with a little cooking spray or rub with oil, sprinkle with salt, then bake for 1 hour or until a knife passes easily into the centre. When cooked, remove from the oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large lidded frying pan or casserole dish, and fry the onion and celery for 3-4 minutes until soft. Add the carrot and parsnip and fry for a further 3-4 minutes, and then the mushrooms. Continue to cook gently for 5 minutes until the mushrooms have released most of their liquid.
- Add the puy lentils, tomato purée, wine, stock powder and water to the pan, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender.
- When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, slice off the top of each (about two thirds of the way up the potato). Carefully scoop out the flesh with a spoon, leaving just enough around the skin to keep the shape of the potato. Place the flesh into a large bowl, add the margarine and mash thoroughly until no lumps remain. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Divide the pie filing between the four potatoes, and use a piping bag with a large nozzle to add the mashed potato topping to the pies. (If you a short of time, just dollop it on and spread with a knife instead!).
- Return the potatoes to the oven for 10-15 minutes until heated through, and the potato topping is turning golden brown.
There are plenty of similarly quick and easy recipes in my new book, 'Vegan in 15'*. Hop over to Amazon for a look. Thanks for your support!
And if you haven't yet signed up, you can get a monthly roundup of all my recipes and giveaways delivered to your inbox absolutely free - just click here to subscribe to The Veg Space monthly newsletter.
These vegan baked potato shepherds pies would make a lovely vegetarian or vegan option for Sunday Lunch.
For more ideas take a look at my post 34 Vegetarian Sunday Lunch Recipes You Need To Know About:
...or my Pinterest Board Sunday Lunches and Roast Dinners: Vegetarian and Vegan:
I'm linking this post with a number of blogging challenges - why not hop over for a look to see the other entries:
- Meat Free Mondays over at Tinned Tomatoes
- Cook Once Eat Twice over at Searching for Spice (as it would freeze well or keep in the fridge for a few days)
- Extra Veg over at Utterly Scrummy Food for Families and co-hosted by Fuss Free Flavours
- Credit Crunch Munch over at Fuss Free Flavours and co-hosted by Fab Food 4 All