Here’s the second in the recipe series for the easy, prep-ahead Veggie & Vegan Christmas Dinner. Today, we’re looking at arguably the most important part of any festive feast, the roast potatoes.
There’s nothing fancy or high-tech going on here, just a simple but failsafe method for perfectly crispy roast potatoes, infused with traditional flavours of garlic and rosemary.
To prepare ahead, you can do the peeling and par-boiling the day before, and keep the potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge overnight.
A few top tips I’ve read about recently to make your perfect roasties even better:
- Keep your potato peelings, tie them into a square of muslin and add to the saucepan whilst you’re par-boiling the potatoes. This really adds to the flavour.
- Heat the oil in the oven before adding the potatoes. This means that the potatoes start to form a crisp crust as soon as they hit the pan, and will make all the difference to beautifully crispy roasties.
- Once you have par-boiled the potatoes, make sure they are really thoroughly dry before you roast them. I do this by leaving them for a while in their sieve or colander whilst the oven heats up, but if you’re in a rush you can tip them into a clean tea towel to soak up any excess moisture. This also guarantees a really golden and crisp potatoes.
- 800g floury potatoes (something like Maris Piper, Desirée or King Edward)
- 3 tbsp rapeseed or olive oil
- 6 garlic cloves
- 4 stalks rosemary
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters.
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil, then add the potatoes and cook for 8 minutes to par-boil them. Drain, then let the potatoes sit in a colander or sieve over the saucepan for a while until they have completely dried and are fairly cool. If you don't have time to wait, tip them into a clean tea towel to soak up any excess moisture - this will guarantee a really crispy skin.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4. Put the olive oil into a roasting tin along with the garlic and rosemary stalks, and place in the oven whilst it is heating up. This will heat the oil and help the garlic and rosemary to infuse their flavours into the oil.
- When the oven is hot enough, remove the roasting tin and carefully place the potatoes into it. Season generously with salt and black pepper, then stir well until all the potatoes are fully coated in hot oil.
- Roast the potatoes for 35-45 minutes, turning occasionally, until they are golden brown and crispy, and cooked through to the centre, (test some of the largest ones with a sharp knife). Discard the garlic cloves and rosemary, then serve.
And don’t forget that my new book Vegan in 15 is out now, and available to order on Amazon, (whoop!). Many thanks for your support!