Ad: In collaboration with OXO Good Grips
If you’re dusting off your BBQ in readiness for the next Bank Holiday weekend, you might be looking for some easy veggie and vegan recipes to spice things up a bit. Here’s a juicy and flavour-packed burger which won’t fall apart on the BBQ, and which you can make and freeze in advance. What more could you ask for?
I’ve been testing out my new OXO Good Grips Burger Press this week, and this black bean and jalapeño combination has definitely been my favourite. And it is all the better topped with creamy smashed avocado, alongside all your favourite burger toppings.
This little animation shows you how quick and easy these are to make…. chuck it all in and mix, then shape into burgers.
To freeze, just separate the burgers with two squares of baking paper between each one. You can then bake, fry or BBQ – the recipe below gives options for all three (so you can enjoy them whatever the weather!).
Two new gadgets made such a difference to the time, hassle and mess involved in making these – here’s a quick review of each one:
OXO Good Grips Burger Press
This plastic burger press is such a handy gadget in BBQ season. Just pile in your burger mix, press down firmly, then lift out and slide your burger off the non-stick surface. I’ve found that veggie burgers hold together so much better as you can press them together more firmly than if you’re making them by hand, and they look really professional too as they are a uniform size and shape.
You can even make stuffed burgers using the little dimple tool on the press – next time I make these I’m going to try stuffing them with some melty vegan cheese, and maybe some chipotle salsa…. yum!
I’ve owned various burger presses in the past, but they had lots of fiddly parts and springs, such a pain to clean. These three plastic parts go straight in the dishwasher so there’s no mess and no hassle.
OXO Good Grips 3-in-1 Avocado Slicer
If you’ve been following the news about the rise of ‘avocado hand’ injuries you will know how dangerous cutting into these super-fruits can be. I’ve had a few near misses myself, and usually end up covered in avocado mush with the stone rolling away along the floor while I prepare one.
But here’s another nifty gadget that is a must-buy if you eat a lot of avocados. This 3-in-1 avocado slicer has a clever knife for slicing through the skin which isn’t at all sharp but somehow glides straight through. Then a stone remover which you just press onto the stone and pop it out into the bin, and finally a scoop and slice for the flesh. The whole process is surprisingly quick, easy, and mess-free.
If you like the look of these two gadgets, scroll to the bottom of the post to enter my giveaway to WIN both a burger press and avocado slicer. Good luck!
BBQ Black Bean & Jalepeño Burger
- 2 x 400g tins black beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 spring onions
- 12-14 slices jalapeño (from a jar)
- 175 g breadcrumbs (crumbs from 4 slices of bread)
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 2 tsp ready chopped garlic / garlic purée (or 2 cloves fresh garlic, peeled and chopped)
- Handful fresh coriander, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp tahini
- Salt & black pepper
- Tip the black beans into a food processor and pulse a few times until they are crushed but not totally puréed. (Alternatively, smash them with a potato masher). Tip into a large bowl.
- Trim and finely chop the spring onions, and chop the jalapeño slices. Add both to the bowl, followed by the breadcrumbs, lime zest and juice, garlic, coriander, soy sauce and tahini. Season with salt and pepper.
- Mix the ingredients well until fully combined, then roughly divide into 5-6 pieces (or 7-8 for smaller burgers). Use your burger press or shape the burgers by hand, then place on a baking tray covered in baking paper and refrigerate until required.
- TO BBQ: Brush each side with a little oil and cook for 5 minutes on each side.
- TO OVEN BAKE: Brush each side with oil and cook at 190°C / 375°F / Gas Mark 5 for 20 minutes.
- TO FRY: Fry in a little oil for 5 minutes on each side.
- Serve in a bun with smashed avocado, tomato slices, lettuce, red onion, gherkins or a slice of dairy-free melty cheese and plenty of ketchup.
If you like the look of this recipe you might also want to take a look at:
Enter the giveaway via the Rafflecopter entry form below – good luck!
Terms & Conditions:
There is 1 prize of an OXO Good Grips Burger Press & 3-in-1 Avocado Slicer.
The winner will be announced on the Rafflecopter widget after the prize has been claimed.
The prize will be delivered to the winner as soon as possible.
There is no cash alternative and the prize is not transferable.
This giveaway is open to UK entrants over the age of 18 only, and runs until midnight on Sunday 4th May 2017.
The Veg Space, as the promoter, reserves the right to cancel or amend the giveaway and these terms and conditions without notice.
If the winner doesn’t respond to the email within 5 days, another winner will be picked.
- Meat Free Mondays hosted by the lovely Jac at Tinned Tomatoes
- CookBlogShare hosted this week by Recipes Made Easy
Disclosure: This post was sponsored by OXO Good Grips, who also sent me these products to review and products to giveaway.