This deliciously summery cherry cordial is easy to make, and is perfect with sparkling water, (or even a fruity addition to a gin!).
We had a 2nd birthday to celebrate this week, and as the weather was unseasonably lovely I took the opportunity to make some refreshing and deliciously fruity homemade cherry cordial.
"Cherries?", I hear you cry... "but they're not in season until July". Well here I've used a packet of frozen cherries instead.
Frozen fruit is often far cheaper than fresh, and an eco-friendly way of enjoying your favourite fruit at any time of year, without relying on air-freighting in from around the world.
This recipe would work well with almost any frozen fruit - try raspberries, blueberries, fruits of the forest mix or anything else you can find in the freezer aisle whilst its out of season.
How to serve your Cherry Cordial
This cherry cordial is delicious with sparkling water to make into cherryade, or for something a little more grown-up, add a splash of vodka - delicious!
It is lovely with a sprig of fresh mint tucked into the glass too, or a slice of lemon.
Fresh or Frozen Cherries?
You can use either fresh or frozen cherries for this cordial recipe - the taste will be very similar. If you're using fresh, there is no need to stone them as you will be straining the cordial before bottling it.
Frozen cherries are widely available in supermarkets and make this a very quick and easy kitchen project.
How long will my Cherry Cordial last?
This homemade cherry cordial will keep well in the fridge for a few weeks, or you can freeze it in ice cube trays, then just pop out a cube into a glass of sparkling water for a refreshing fizz whenever you need it.
Please do save this recipe on Pinterest --> --> --> Sharing my posts helps me to keep creating free vegan recipes!
I love hearing from you! Do send me pictures of your very own cherry cordial on:
tagging me @thevegspace or using the hashtag #thevegspace to show me how you got on!
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
"Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice" Hello! Magazine
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
IF YOU LIKED THAT...
.... you might also enjoy these vegan recipes from The Veg Space:
- Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected.
- If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided.
- Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding
- 500 g frozen cherries (I used Sainsbury's Dark Sweet Cherries)
- 300 g caster sugar
- 300 ml water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Put the cherries, water and caster sugar in a large saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, then lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Then, add the lemon juice and simmer for a further 5 minutes.
- Cover, set aside and leave until cool. Then strain through a sieve or muslin, squashing the cherries with a fork to get as much liquid out of them as possible. (Don't throw away the 'pulp' - it makes a delicious topping for a scoop of vegan ice cream!).
- Pour into a sterilized bottle and keep in the fridge, or straight into ice cube trays if storing in the freezer.