What could be more Russian than cabbage? How about cabbage with vodka? This is a brilliant side-dish for a full-on Sunday lunch, and also works well cold with cheese & biscuits, as you would use a chutney.
Cranberry & Vodka Braised Red Cabbage
- 1 large red cabbage
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 20g butter
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 150ml water
- 4 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tin pear halves, drained and chopped
- 2 tbsp sultanas
- 2 tbsp cranberry sauce
- 4 tbsp vodka
1. Remove the outer leaves of the cabbage, cut it into quarters, remove the thickest part of the heart and slice the rest of the cabbage very thinly.
2. In a large saucepan, melt the butter and fry the onions for 5 minutes. Add the mixed spice and stir.
3. Add the red cabbage to the pan, followed by the chopped pear halves, water, sugar and sultanas. Cover and cook for at least an hour until collapsed and there is almost no liquid left on the bottom of the pan.
4. Just before serving, stir through the cranberry sauce and vodka.Make it vegan: Just substitute the butter for dairy-free margarine Not a brilliant photo, but it tastes divine!