A creamy and delicious 20 minute one-pot veggie sausage pasta with a sun-dried tomato sauce. All ingredients cook together in the same pot.
One Pot Pasta dishes are terribly trendy at the moment... and with good reason. Ever so simple, with no draining required - the pasta and sauce cook themselves in the same pot, with the pasta soaking up all the lovely flavours as it cooks, and its starch helping to thicken the silky sauce.
Most one-pot-pasta recipes involve simply chucking everything into the pot at once and leaving it to its own devices, and you could do that here if you wanted, but I prefer to brown off the veggie sausages first, (or they end up a bit pale and flabby), and also to cook off the onions so they turn really sweet and release their juices before adding everything else.
📝 What you need
- Cherry tomatoes
- Baby spinach
- Vegan sausages
- Dairy-free cream
- Jar of sun-dried tomatoes
- Tomato purée
- Vegetable stock powder
- Olive or rapeseed oil
A sturdy, lidded casserole dish is really useful for this dish - the bigger the better as surface area is good for cooking the pasta as evenly as possible.
My trusty Le Creuset casserole gets used almost every day in our house, and twelve years later (it was a wedding present!), it looks just the same as it did the day we got it. (Can't say the same about me or Mr F, sadly!!).
🌭 What are the best vegan sausages to use?
In recent years the quality and quantity of vegan sausage brands to choose from in UK supermarkets has skyrocketed, which is such great news. You can use whichever brand of sausage you like in this speedy pasta supper, but some of my favourites are:
- Richmond Meatfree which I used here and you can see pictured above. They have such a similar look and taste to their 'original' sausages that many people are completely fooled!
- Naked Glory are really excellent sausages - they have a bit more texture and deeper flavour than the Richmond.
- Sainsbury's Shroomdogs I absolutely love these, my personal favourite though my kids find them far too peppery. They have Cumberland sausage seasoning so are fairly strong, but I really like them.
- Vegan 'Chorizo' Sausages Sainsburys, Tesco (Wicked Kitchen) and Morrisons now all stock chorizo-style vegan sausages, and all of them are really excellent. More like traditional sausages with chorizo seasoning than the hard, dense texture of real chorizo, but that makes them perfect for this lovely one-pot pasta.
- Moving Mountains Sausages are really good, but very expensive - I don't buy them often because of the price tag.
- Wheaty Merguez Sausages are probably the best I've ever tasted - they used to be available from Ocado but sadly no longer. They are stocked at TheVeganKind but are also pricy - an occasional treat!
You can use this recipe in all sorts of ways to create different pasta dishes - why not try mixing it up every time you make it? How about:
- Make it without the veggie sausage by substituting in borlotti beans or chickpeas instead?
- Make it spicy by adding half a teaspoon of chilli flakes or a chopped fresh chilli at the same time as the vegetable stock?
- Make it with spaghetti - you will probably need to snap the spaghetti in half to fit it in the pan!
What other variations will you experiment with?
⭐️ Reader Testimonials
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ "This dish was super delicious! I'd never had vegetarian sausage and must say I like it much better. I didn't tell the kids it was a vegetarian meal and they gobbled it all up!" Andy
Please do save this veggie sausage pasta recipe on Pinterest --> --> --> Sharing my posts helps me to keep creating free vegan recipes!
I love hearing from you! Do send me pictures of your very own veggie sausage pasta on:
tagging me @thevegspace or using the hashtag #thevegspace to show me how you got on!
And if you have tried this recipe, please do leave a star rating and comment below which is so helpful for other readers wanting to try the recipe. 👇🏼
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
"Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice" Hello! Magazine
🍽 If you liked that...
.... you might also enjoy these vegan recipes from The Veg Space:
- Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected.
- If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided.
- Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding
One-Pot Veggie Sausage Pasta with sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp olive or rapeseed oil
- 4 vegan sausages
- 1 onion
- 300 g pasta
- 200 g cherry tomatoes
- 6-8 sun-dried tomatoes
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 litre water
- 2 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 100 ml dairy-free cream
- 40 g fresh baby spinach
- Heat the oil in a large, shallow casserole dish and fry the sausages and onions together until the sausages have browned all over.
- Carefully remove them from the pan, slice them diagonally into 4 pieces each, then return to the pan for a further 2 minutes.
- Halve the cherry tomatoes and roughly chop the sun-dried tomato pieces.
- Add them to the pot along with the pasta, tomato purée, water and stock powder. Season well with salt and black pepper. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 12-14 minutes, stirring every few minutes, until the pasta is cooked through.
- Roughly chop the spinach and add to the pan along with the vegan cream. Stir well and cook for a further minute until the spinach has wilted. Taste and adjust seasoning if required.