A deliciously thick vegan clotted cream that takes just 3 minutes to make. Perfect to dollop on scones with strawberry jam!
No afternoon tea would be complete without just-baked scones, strawberry jam and lashings of clotted cream. But what's a vegan to do when it comes to the clotted cream?
Help is at hand - here's an easy-peasy vegan 'clotted cream' recipe that is super quick and easy to make, (3 minutes in fact!), with just the right amount of sweetness to dollop on your strawberry jam.
Of course this isn't actually clotted - that requires quite a long process of low and slow cooking in the oven, skimming off fat and suchlike which doesn't hold up so well with dairy-free cream. But this will give you a good, firm 'dollopable' cream that will absolutely fill the gap for your strawberry scones.
This recipe is a not-very-sweet buttercream mixed with whipped vegan cream. I think it really hits the spot between being quick and easy to make and a really good substitution for clotted cream as a scone-topper.
Give it a try and let me know what you think!
📝 What you need
- Dairy-free 'butter' I use half-and-half Flora Plant Butter and Trex Vegetable Fat which gives the clotted cream a really lovely consistency, but either of these on their own would work really well too.
- Icing sugar
- Dairy-free double cream I use Elmlea Plant Double which is the best available for whipping up into stiff peaks. Other vegan creams are much runnier so add carefully - you will probably need a much smaller amount to get the same consistency.
Whilst it is possible to whip this clotted cream together by hand, a good hand whisk like this one from Morphy Richards at under £13 will make your life much easier, and will be useful for so many other vegan baking recipes too.
I usually use my trusty food mixer - a KMix by Kenwood. I’ve had it for over 10 years now and it is really sturdy and good quality, making light work of cake mixes, bread dough and all sorts of baking tasks.
☕️ What can I serve for a Vegan Afternoon Tea?
There are lots of recipes here on The Veg Space that are perfect for serving with a Vegan Afternoon Tea. How about:
- Vegan Victoria Sponge Cake
- Fruity Vegan Scones
- Vegan Millionaire's Shortbread
- Vegan Chocolate Cake
- Vegan Rocky Road
- Vegan Carrot Cake
- Vegan Red Velvet Cake
- Vegan Coffee & Walnut Cake
Vegan Clotted Cream
- 80 g dairy-free 'butter' I use half-and-half Flora Plant Butter and Trex Vegetable Fat
- 2 tablespoon icing sugar
- 180 ml dairy-free double cream I use Elmlea Plant Double
- Put the vegan 'butter' into a food mixer or large bowl and sieve in the icing sugar.
- Beat until pale and fluffy.
- Add the vegan cream and whip for 2 minutes until fairly stiff peaks form. Serve with scones and jam.
Free 4-Week Vegan Meal Plan
Have you got your hands on a copy of my meal plan yet? If not CLICK here to download a copy of my FREE 4 Week Vegan Meal Plan today!
For more quick and easy vegan recipes take a look at my latest book Vegan in 15.
"Brilliant! Chock full of easy recipes and great tips and advice" Hello! Magazine
- Please note that all recipes and images on The Veg Space are copyright protected.
- If you would like to share the recipe, please use the share buttons provided.
- Do not screenshot or copy and paste the recipe, (even if credited to The Veg Space). Many thanks for your understanding