Warning: seriously more-ish.
Salty, spicy, smoky and sweet – these warm toasted six-spiced party nuts are the perfect sophisticated nibble to serve with drinks. A bit more special and ‘homemade’ than a bowl of crisps, they will take less than 15 minutes from turning on the oven to handing round in a bowl, and are most definitely worth the effort.
I love the famous Union Square Café’s Bar Nuts recipe, and this is my six-spiced take on the idea, adding a bit more spice and hint of smokiness.
Use whatever combination of (unsalted) nuts you have to hand – this is ideal for using up all those half-empty bags lurking in the back of your cupboards. Similarly, don’t worry if you don’t have all the spices listed – there’s no need to go dashing to the shops for a tub of ground ginger – just leave it out!
- 500g mixed nuts (unsalted) - a mix of cashews, brazils, peanuts, hazelnuts, walnuts or unpeeled almonds
- 25g dairy-free margarine
- ¼ tsp each of
- smoked paprika (or ordinary paprika will do)
- ground ginger
- ground coriander
- cayenne pepper
- chilli powder
- ground cumin
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 3 tsp salt
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC / 350ºF / Gas Mark 4. Place the nuts on a baking tray, and toast in the oven for 8-10 minutes until turning golden (but watch carefully - they burn quickly!).
- Meanwhile, melt the margarine, then stir in the spices, sugar and salt.
- Place the hot toasted nuts into a large bowl, add the spiced butter and continue to mix until they are all evenly coated. When they are cool enough to handle, (be careful!), taste and adjust the seasoning accordingly - you may want a little more salt, and more cayenne if you (and your guests) like the heat.
- Serve while still warm with a glass of wine!
Why not pin the recipe for later or to share with friends? → → → → →